Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is taking a Business Course necessary/a good idea for opening a Brewery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is taking a Business Course necessary/a good idea for opening a Brewery?

What say you in the know?

I've always been pretty astute at balancing a checkbook and being responsible financially.

It seems to me that gauging the financial IN/OUT's would come naturally (using spreadsheets where applicable).

My wife thinks a course is a no-brainer tho' before committing to opening a brewery.

All comments welcome. My first thread btw!

Well at the end of the day, a brewery is a small business that happens to produce beer. Many local community colleges usually offer small business courses such as a one class "How to start a small business". I would think that would be worth your while to get some sort of starting point, get the gears turning.
    -Beaux

Comment

I have to agree with beaux, It's not necessary but it is a very good idea.

Slainte,
      Jeff
      Slainte,
      Jeff Lockhart
      Brew Master
      Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Education can always be helpful, but I have always felt that intuition is just as important. Running small business is much more than just spreadsheets and taxes. On top of local classes, working in the industry even just a little will make a world of difference.

Comment

Definitely take some classes. Even if it's just a course on writing business plans or basic accounting, they'll be well worth your time. You should do anything that can help you understand business or at the very least become more conversant in business practices to facilitate learning as you go. It also helps to identify and rely on experienced business people in your community who would be willing to share some free advice with you. There are all kinds of off-the-wall things that come up on the business-side of the brewery that you can't possibly prepare for but have to deal with anyway. Having a few classes under your belt and some friendly business people who you respect is invaluable.
          Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
          Strangeways Brewing
          2277-A Dabney Road
          Richmond, VA 23230
          804-303-4336
          www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Thanks guys. As per usual, my wife is right!

Comment

Start with a business plan. There are many templates out there and don't take any shortcuts, this will help you with things you didn't think about and will help your wife understand your vision because if she's anything like my wife, she thinks she can read my mind but she's way off a lot of times . The time i completed my business plan she was onboard with the pub but it took a lot of convincing and it would have never happened if I hadn't put it on paper for her to see and understand. You're already doing the right thing by checking these forums, this is where the industry talks and check out the sba website, not all the information is good and some is repetitive and common sense but overall it helps. Good luck with your venture, it is a very difficult process but well worth your efforts.

Bryan

Comment

Interesting, if somewhat weird question. Actually, the question is fine - I think the answer is the weird one.

I've got a graduate degree from a fancy-pants east coast university, lots of business experience, and even teach business at the local university... yet there are some days I have to stop and think about how to operate in this wacky world.

On the flip side, there are plenty of guys who studied something like Lit in college (or didn't do college at all) and appear to have it all figure out.

Is a class necessary? Nope. Might it help? Absolutely? Might it possibly be a waste of your time in the end? Maybe.

In my opinion, take the class if you feel there are some things to learn - and most of all, take carge of the experience and make it guide you to what you need rather than hoping you get what need out of it.

Good luck!
                Scott Metzger
                Freetail Brewing Co.
                San Antonio, TX

Comment

more than classes

classes are the least of your worries,, how about, what kind of brewery, pub? you better know a lot about food and have/ be a restaurateur.. oh don't forget to have a boat load of cash and enough to survive for 2 years while you figure it all out.. production,, good luck getting distribution and all that brand building.. it is a long process.. this is not a light decision and the fact you are asking if you need classes tells me you might need a whole lot more.. think it through..

patrick
                  OWB
                  Patrick Fields
                  patrick@oldworldbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                  X