Fresh Hop ALe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Hop ALe

Next month I am doing my first fresh-hop ale. I plan on doing the following:

I am around 5 hours drive from the hop fields and I will keep the hops cold during transport.

Use 4 times the amount of wet hops as I would use dried whole flower hops (by weight) to compensate for the water content.

I will only add the fresh hops in the last 15 minutes of the boil and do bittering with a ordinary dried hops. I have heard that boiling fresh hops for a long time can give of grassy flavours.

Any other things I need to consider?

-Christian

Hey,

Maybe keep some of the fresh hops for a nice dry hop in the secondary/serving tanks, ........

Cheers Ryan

Comment

Fresh hop

Where are you located in NZ? because hops have not started to grow in the US i am in Yakima Valley where most of the hops grow..

Comment

Originally posted by hopsick
        Where are you located in NZ? because hops have not started to grow in the US i am in Yakima Valley where most of the hops grow..
        South Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSA
          Any other things I need to consider?

-Christian
          just the fact, that I need to taste a sample !

I would think that factor 4 is a little to low and that factor 5 is more suitable looking at the water content before and after drying hops. But knowing you I am not afraid that the beer will be on the low side of hop flavor..

Christoph
          Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Fresh Hops

I have Brewed about 5 freshhop ales 2 award winning and my advice is if it is a 15bbl batch I use about 8-10lbs depending on the alpha just for bittering and about the same for middle and then i clean out my mash tun and place 100-120 lbs of green fresh hops , whirlpool and run the wert over the hops and then through the heat exchanger the mash tun acts as a hop back .That works for me if you have any other questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail chrism@snipesmountain.com

Comment

Wow 100 lbs that a lot of hops. I also brewed a 10 bbl batch using the mash tun as a hop back. I agree with hopsick. It worked for me but I only used 15 lbs. It was pretty aromatic. I want to try the 100 lb hop bomb though

Tim

Comment

I have had it He knocked us out of the first place position at the Yakima Fresh hop ale festival http://www.freshhopalefestival.com/brews.html
                when I tried it I knew He would win it was just that good

Laughing Dog

Comment

Working...
                X