Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red vs. Brown hue

I'm getting picky here, but this issue has been bugging me:

I can't seem to get a nice coppery/brownish color when I want it — I usually end up with a deep red when I'm shooting for brown. This might be a function of how our kettle boils, I suppose. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Woolsocks
    I'm getting picky here, but this issue has been bugging me:

I can't seem to get a nice coppery/brownish color when I want it — I usually end up with a deep red when I'm shooting for brown. This might be a function of how our kettle boils, I suppose. Any suggestions?
    What kind of grist bill?
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Doesn't seem to matter! I get the right amount of color but the wrong hue. Whether color is coming from amber/munich type malts, caramel malts, roasted stuff, etc. This is good for our Irish Red Ale, but I like my alts, bocks, etc. to be more coppery.

Comment

"Beyond Lovibond—Understanding Beer Color", by Bob Hansen, 5MB PowerPoint presented a

Bob had a great presentation about this exact thing at the 2008 CBC I thought it was one of the best presentations that conferance really made me think about how I was writing a grain bill. Now I look back and it seems ovious but at the time it was a real eye opener. I think this is excatly what you are looking for. Best of luck David

Cheers

jamie

Comment

Sorry I missed it! Thanks for that tip. I'll read it.

Comment

Nice source for info. It would be nice if they could voice-over the presentation so it made more sense.

R/
            Mike Pensinger
            General Manager/Brewmaster
            Parkway Brewing Company
            Salem, VA

Comment

Just emailed BA to ask about audio. Will post here if there is.

Comment

I get a beautiful coppery red with 1/2% black malt and 1% chocolate added to a few other specialties ~ 8% @ 100L.
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

AFAIK, most of the brown colors in Alts, Dunkels and bocks comes from carafa special and/or Sinmar.
                  -Lyle C. Brown
                  Brewer
                  Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Audio from the Briess presentation available for $10:

Comment

Well, I just finally listened to that excellent presentation and it did help me out a lot. Now to try and brew a beer differently, armed with new info...

Comment

Working...
                      X