I want poison gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want poison gas

Does anybody know of a product that can be used for sanitizing pipes that cannot get moist or heated (leaving out steam and liquid sanitizers as options) and are opaque so that UV light won't work either.

I am thinking there must be some kind of nasty gas, that will kill germs and fungus just by sitting in the pipes.

-Christian

Try Ozone

Ozone has been used in many wineries and breweries, and if I'm not mistaken it's the sanitizer of choice at Sierra Nevada and Dogfish. At least that's what I've read online. It's not a cleaner (no detergent effect) but it will kill bugs, and do it well. Check out McClain Ozone (no experience with them but they've got a cool website with tons of info) at http://www.mcclainozone.com/
    It is an OSHA controlled technology- too much ozone will kill you just like CO2, but it's also responsible for the 'fresh' smell near a copy machine or after a thunderstorm so if you use it properly it is perfectly safe. It's not cheap though-- I believe their entry level unit is in the $5-10k range.
    Good luck-
    Adam

Comment

ClO2 gasses off heavily, you might be able to blow the vapour through. What kind of pipes can't get wet or moist?

Comment

Originally posted by mishipeshu
        ClO2 gasses off heavily, you might be able to blow the vapour through. What kind of pipes can't get wet or moist?
        I was wondering the same. If they can't get moist or heated, what could you be putting through these pipes that would require sanitization?
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Chlorine would probably do it, but I'd be pretty scared of using it — kills you almost as good as the bugs!

Comment

Maybe a CO2 recovery system?

Comment

Originally posted by Woolsocks
              Maybe a CO2 recovery system?
              Wouldn't a CO2 recovery system be prone to a small margin of condensation even with a dryer?
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

The CO2 collection side between the FVs and the compressor / drier / purification system will always collect water and a small amount of alcohol vapour, and not uncommonly yeast and beer from overflowing vessels, so they often have fob traps, sometimes with water scrubbers in the system.

I also am intrigued by the actual requirement, and apart from Ozone gas, which strikes me as spectacularly nasty unless very well controlled I cannot think of anything suitable. Chlorine would be so dangerous and agressive to materials it would never get used. I don't think ClO2 comes as a viable gas - but am happy to be corrected. Even if it was something like CO2 recovery with plastic piping, with a bit of careful design, you could flush through with cold water based sterilant such as ClO2 or ozone, or PAA.

The only other gas I have ever used was monobromoethane (I think - it was something like that) which we used for killing off weevils and moths in the malt handling system. The police station next door weren't over chuffed mindst. And it has now been banned anyway
                dick

Comment

Likewise, I'm intrigued by 'cannot get moist or heated'

Otherwise I'd go with Dick Murton's suggestion of ClO2-dosed rinse water.

Comment

Originally posted by mishipeshu
                    It is the hoses and pipes from the air-filter and the Co2 bottles.

If the pipes from the airfilter get wet or too hot I am afraid it will ruin the filter. As for the Co2 bottles, the gauges and regulators will rust if they get moist.

-Christian

Comment

Okay, thanks.

If both sets of pipes are always completely dry, then I doubt they would need sanitising because moisture is necessary for any organism to survive.

Comment

Use quick connects with backflow prevention and you shouldnt need to sanitize them. If dirty now, Id take them off and caustic soak them then rinse and blow dry with air or Co2. Better yet, replace them along with backflow prevention.
                        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                        "Your results may vary"

Comment

this one time...

In my last placement (overseas) every once in a while, beer would travel up the co2 line from one particular fv. I unhooked the line and did a full CIP on the system...being sure to disconnect all vessels and the CO2. It generally took all day, but that was the only way I could be sure that my CO2 wasn't contaminated. Peracetic makes a good no-rinse final sanitizer, but not long after that I discovered ozone...lovely stuff.

It's way more effective than chlorine, but you have to clean the lines with something else, first. But for killin', it's second to none!!

nat

Comment

Working...
                          X