Hot water sanitization chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water sanitization chart

Anyone have a hot water sanitation chart, Temp. to time = kill ratio they would like to share?

Thanks

JB

There was a thread on here on just this topic the other day. Several folks talking about their experiences with some various methods.

Mic Mac posted a couple links that might be of help as well.

& the associated article here -
    A brief scientific background on pasteurisation and PU monitoring, useful if you have not been involved in PU monitoring before or need a refresher

It's always good to run a quick search on here. There is a wealth of good posts on the forum.

Comment

As a rule of thumb, I have used 20 minutes at 80 C + for hot water sterilisation. It is pretty standard in the UK bigger breweries, and is often quoted in the hygiene training sessions. I know some people feel they can get away with 15 minutes on a regular basis, and others like a bit of overkill at 30 minutes.

The key point is the whole of plant being sterilised must be at least at that temperature before starting the countdown timer. Higher than 85 may damage joint sealing rubbers prematurely. Make sure the deals are suitable for such temperatures, and tanks are vacuum rated, or fitted with suitably large anti vac devices. And yes, unless these are fitted with sterile filters being open to atmosphere tends to negate the benefits of steam / hot water sterilisation
      dick

Comment

Working with a 24 valve filler that is more of a tank (5HL holding capacity) for a bowl than a donut (if you follow me). It is very difficult to heat up all the metal. We seem to be getting 71oC as our peak temp. using 87oC water. So I guess I'm calculating PU's if anything. Unless anyone has some suggestions.....

Comment

I assume you are recirculating the water through the bowl via a heat excahnger system to reduce wastage. The flow rate will need to be very high to get the temperature up in a sensible time. The filler bowls I last had any dealings with were also a few hl capacity, but over 100 heads. We used to recirculate at 300 hl / hr to get the temperature up within about ten minutes, using, again, from memory, 85 C out from the CIP set to get 81 on the return at the CIP set.

I suspect a filler bowl this size, with only 24 heads will take absolutely ages to heat up, and if cold ambient temperatures may never achieve 80 C +.

Do all the heads bleed through to ensure all parts of the head are sterilised ?

If you are struggling this badly to get even high temperatures, have you considered cold sterilisation using PAA or ClO2 ? Again, you really need high flow rates to ensure even distribution of the sterilant.

Re pasteurisation chart, there have been plenty of discussions on beer pasteurisation, including references to PU charts. I suggest you should be aiming for something in excess of 500 PUs, though if anyone with good micro analysis systems tells me they cope reliably at somewhat less than this, I would be happy to accept their proposals. Don't forget though, that what works at one site with one set of hygiene conditions, will not always be totally effective at every site, with different conditions
          dick

Comment

Working...
          X