cherry puree in winter warmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherry puree in winter warmer

I am sitting on a load of sour cherry puree, that I rather wanna use in a brew, then through out. I would like to use it in barley wine style or doppelbock style beer (think extra big). Never really used puree in brewing and so I am looking for ideas and input on how to use it and what flavours fit good with it.
    Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

I have had success with adding the purees about 2-3 days into fermentation. Essentially when my FG is around 1.018- 1.012 or so. The puree sparks a secondary fermentation and leaves you with a nice fruit foward beer. I am using 1 lb per gallon with my apricot puree in a kolsch and it tastes awesome. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

James Murray
    Lead Brewer
    Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits
    San Diego, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Øl-sheik
      I am sitting on a load of sour cherry puree, that I rather wanna use in a brew, then through out. I would like to use it in barley wine style or doppelbock style beer (think extra big). Never really used puree in brewing and so I am looking for ideas and input on how to use it and what flavours fit good with it.
      I used cherry juice for a Christmas beer (Ølfabrikken Klosterjul). It was a Belgian Strong Ale brewed to a high FG. It worked well - just make sure to keep some residual sweetness as there is a lot of acid in good cherry puree. Which is why your idea of using a doppelbock or BW as base beer sounds right.

-Christian

Comment

Working...
      X