Bottle filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle filtration

We plate filter (1 micron) and then cartridge filter (.45) micron into conditioning tank. If we plan to bottle this beer, would it be possible to only use sheet filter pads? The .45 cartridge seems to be blocked (or at the end of its use) and might be time for a new one.
    I just want to avoid filling bottles that might still contain yeast... is 1 micron tight enough? Is that tight enough for bottling? Our flow rate with the .45 micron is very very very slow ... any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charles

Sterile filtration can also be done as you bottle, after BBT. It will pick up any bugs you have in your BBT & lines. And at the slow filtration rate of bottling speed, you may find that this is more time-effective. The 0.45 micron cartridge filters are expensive, but you can usually clean and reuse them. Ask your supplier for cleaning instructions and the procedure for bubble point testing. This is a filter integrity test that should confirm your filter is working properly. It works via pressure required to break surface tension. Hope this helps.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

1 micron

Yes 1 micron is going to get the job done. The measurement I was taught for yeast is 3 to 5 micron. The purpose of the .45 is to ensure no beer spoiling microbes (bacteria) can find a way into your product. Hence the previous poster is giving excellent advice when he suggest to filter in line between your bright and filler. I have done this with excellent results. If you include a pressure feed back control system to maintain a constant pressure at the inlet of your filler your losses will be very low. My results at YBOR City 0.75% yes 0.75% . This seems to eliminate fluctuations in bowl volume, and minimizes low fills. We at YBOR basically pulled two cases off the front of the line to clear the filler.

Graydon
      if you have more questions your can send me a PM

Comment

Back Pressure Control

I was wandering what a "pressure fed back control system" is? I have tried throttling back the outlet to keep pressure in the housing but something more constant would be better. I use it to polish so it is going into a brite tank as well. Can you explain to me how that works.

Thank you
        Tim

Comment

Feed Back Pressure control

The least complex form is a pressure sensor that is on the outlet of the filter. This device reads the pressure on the out put of the filter and adjust one or more valves on the input of the filter to maintain the out put pressure. As the pressure accross the filter increases the valves adjust to maintain the output pressure. This type of set-up suppllies a variable flow and constant pressure at the filler.

Graydon

Comment

Putting a sterile filter cartridge in line before the filler is a backwards way to avoid contamination. I worked in a brewery where the bottle line operator never cleaned or sanitized properly. We sterile filtered before the filler, but it didn't matter. If your filler is not cleaned and sanitized properly it can be a more significant site for contamination than other places in the brewery.
            The first question you need to ask before changing filtration media size is, "Is my beer clean?" If you do even simple micro with HLP media and your beer is clean, go ahead and back off to 1 micron.
            If your beer is contaminated you want to remove those contaminants at any cost, including time.
            Long story short, a better cleaning and sanitation program might be your answer. Then you'll never have to worry about slow .45 micron filtration, and you'll know that your packaged product is clear of micro contamination.
            Last edited by safety man; 05-14-2010, 09:20 AM.

Comment

filters

Thanks for the info. I use k-100 pads to pre-filter but recently got shipped some k-150's. This seems harsh to go from 1.5 micron pads right into the .45 cartridge. Am I correct? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Comment

Always, sterile filter before going to your filler. No matter how clean you think it is, it's not. You want shelf life without jepordizing quality. Like mentioned from someone else, get your beer plated by someone, know what you have and figure out what you need to do to fix it. Consider any chill haze, always great at blinding your media or beta glucans, maybe you need some brewers clarex to assist in filtrations. Ask yourself if you have enough surface area, do you filter a lot of beer or a little at a time? Cleaning cartiages usually comes from what your manufacture suggest. How about temperature and was the beer chilled long enough or you working with warmer beer, we usually chill our beer to 29dF or -1.6c for 5 days.

Consider going to a 1um to brite then .65um to .45um going to filler, best setup overall.

Lastly, the only time we consider not filtering our beer through such tight media is with IPA's or beers with higher IBU's. From experience, filtering beer with higher IBU's can cause some off flavors or the impression of the beer being watered down. Oh and watch your DO pickup.

Chris

Comment

I'm sorry, but I would never take the path of sterile filtration over clean beer. There are hundreds of breweries around the country that manage to package micro-biologically stable beer without sterile filtration or pasteurization.
                  If you have a problem with shelf stability there are many other ways to attack it then the easy way out with sterile filtration. Again, if your filler isn't clean there is no point in even filtering the beer.
                  Get a D.O. meter and check levels at all points in the production process.
                  Constantly check head space air throughout your bottling run. Use higher rimmed six pack holders. Oxygen scavenging caps have been proven to be effective.

How much flavor is stripped during this sterile filtration? a lot. You might as well just pasteurize and get it over with.
                  Last edited by safety man; 05-21-2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Litle or no stripping

Sorry but the other posters have been on subject and positive. I have filtered this way in more than one situation, and you must be as clean as possible in any case implying that those who have supported .45 micron filtration don't clean is boarding on rude. Other than very high IBU beers I have never had a problem with stripping flavor. I believe that ether somthing else has happened to strip beer flavor or this is an old wives tale.

Graydon

Comment

the beer in and out of a 1 micron filter in my shop is wildly different. That's for mid range stuff for us. I could see maybe going down there for some light ales but nothing substantial. At least that's my experience. We go 4 microns at the tightest.

Comment

There was no "implication" that those who chose to sterile filter aren't concerned about cleanliness and sanitation. I was simply trying to make a point on the fact that sterile filtration does not equal clean beer. Sorry if anyone was "offended".

Comment

0.45 micron supplier

For those that use .45 micron filters. Where do you get them? Could you mention a reliable supplier

Thank you

Comment

I would recommend Meissner cartridges for 0.45 micron.

There are similar cartridges.

Membrane material construction is really important in terms of 'stripping' some have referred to .

PES - polyethersulfone, in my estimation is an excellent media for construction of said membrane. Little, if any 'stripping' - in my experience.

Pax.

Liam
                            Liam McKenna
                            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                            X