Glycol temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol temp

What temp should our glycol in our resevoir be? we have schedule 80 insulated pvc. my refir guy said if i can give him the glycol temp i want to achieve he can work backwards with that number to get what he wants the evaporator temp to be. We added too much water to our glycol last year when we set it up so we are adding pure glycol now to get the ratio right and get rid of the ice bank on our coils in the resevoir to run more efficiently. Thanks Tom-Evolution Craft Brewing Company

I have ours set on 27-30 depending on time of year. With the glycol freeze point mixed to the mid teens. That was the recommended settings per our manufacturer Pro Refrigeration.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Like Joel said, most of our customers operate the chillers at a T-Stat set point in the 27-30 F range.

You want the Freeze Point of the solution to be 20 F or 25 F below your Set point Temperature- so at 27 F set point the Freeze Point should be in the +2 to +7 F Range or Glycol Percentage in the 30-35% range. You need this buffer because the refrigerant temperatures will be much lower than glycol temperatures.

You can download a chart here:

Good Luck,

Jim
      Pro Refrigeration Inc.
      jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Ours is -1°C but that's only cold enough to get the beer in our fermenters to about 1-2°C. I'd ideally like it colder; you might want to do that as well if you want to get your beers down to the "proper" cold-conditioning temp of -2°C

Comment

Working...
        X