Surveying underutilized capacity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surveying underutilized capacity?

With the on-going economic climate largely stagnant, constant distribution issues, changing consumer tastes and cost movements I have to assume that many commercial micro and even craft brewers are effectively operating at a conservative capacity with output.

Meaning most firms are nowhere near maximum capacity with output of a single or even multiple beers. There are exceptions to be sure: Brewery Ommegang in Upstate NY, from my conversations is almost tapped out with production capacity.

Are there an on-going (even if informal) polls taken or even recent surveys that measure where smaller brewers stand with current production vs. what could be considered optimum production?

It somewhat ties into another question but are most start up brewers today procuring equipment capable of producing just a nominal percentage more then their projected growth in a few years? (e.g., forecast output is 2,000 bbl first year and to grow to sales of 3,000 bbl; so equipment making up to 4,000 bbl is desired)

Or is the fixed cost of equipment such a high cost that buying equipment to produce 9,000 bbl (just for illustration) is relatively no more then the same as it would be for the 4,000 bbl cited?

well...

Everybody I know is maxed out capacity wise.

hot market for fermentation tanks...with some tank suppliers they're so busy you can't get an order in edgewise.

I even know one crazy place where they have 7 beers with only 3 tanks. Maxed. Out.

Nat

Comment

Originally posted by Natrat
      Everybody I know is maxed out capacity wise.

hot market for fermentation tanks...with some tank suppliers they're so busy you can't get an order in edgewise.

I even know one crazy place where they have 7 beers with only 3 tanks. Maxed. Out.

Nat
      Thanks Nat - so much for perceptions, right?

If that holds true (and drop off brewers largely being cases of failed brewpubs, for example, which could easily be tied to a host of issues unrelated to the beer) then its more a question of when to make that additional capital leap and gain excess capacity from an initial expansion

Comment

Not to mention just about every major craft brewery between 10,000-100,000 barrel annual production underwent multi-million dollar expansions between 2008-2010.

Comment

Echo what Natrat said.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
          X