Belgian Wit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgian Wit

I'm looking for a good wit recipe and one that i hve come across is a clone of Hogarden
    36% Pale
    36% Malted Wheat
    12% Flake Wheat
    12% Flaked Oats
    Orange Peel and Coriander as herbs

Any thoughts on the grain bill or some hop suggestions?
    Nicholas Campbell

Grain bill could be recipe for stuck mash. I use half the oats, 60:35:5 Pilsen/Wheat/Oats, and have used malted and unmalted wheat with great results either way. Very importantly, IMHO is to use only the best coriander and orange peel varieties in the right proportions, a great yeast, right fermentation temp, and don't use sulphur containing salts in the mash eg: CaSO4--leads to extended aging to reduce sulphury notes. Try Saaz hops. Good luck! It is a very satisfying beer to make.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

With all that wheat and oats, you really might want to consider adding some hulls (rice, oat, or barley hulls) to the grist to improve lautering (3-8% of the rest of the grain bill)

CT

Comment

I would use 50:50 Pilsener malt and flaked wheat. Wheat malt IMHO is for german style weissbier.

A tradional european hop Saaz or Perle would be nice. Or any other fruity and spicy hop. But don't use too much (IBU less than 20). Wit is not a bitter or hoppy style!

David

Comment

Recipe looks spot on, however in reguards to yeast, I recommend Wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit. It is the Hoegaarden strain and IMHO it the best all purpose Belgian strain. It also makes killer Saisons, Belgian Strong, and Pale ales

Cheers! George

Comment

As far as I heard, Herm Heggers from "de Raaf" brewery in Holland developed some wit bier recipes, that became so popular that his brewery was bought by Interbrew.
            He started all-over again with a new brewery "de Hemel" in Nijmegen, Holland. He is a very nice guy, maybe he can give you more info on wit bier recipes.

Comment

Moroccan Coriander

Moroccan Coriander purportedly is superior to Egyptian coriander.

Brewer Bob

Comment

Rate of coriander/orange peel addition for 10bbl batch

Anybody care to share their secrets? Amount, time in boil, etc.

Cheers
                David Cohen
                The Dancing Camel Brewing Co. Ltd.

Comment

Used #5 of coriander and #2 of orange peel at whirlpool for a 15 bbl KO -- flavors were quite nice and well developed even after a vigorous ferment

Good luck!
                  "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

WOW - and I thought I put a lot of spice into mine! Rob, was your coriander ground or whole (which by the way fits nicely into the gaps in the heat exchanger)?

By the way, I do a pound of each for a 7.5 bbl batch.

Cheers,
                    Scott

Comment

How come no one has mentioned Acidulated Malt?
                      Mark Duchow
                      Brew Master
                      Short Fuse Brewing Co.
                      Chicagoland
                      "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

Heh, guess oursis a lil more over the top than Rob's ;-) Here's our spicing for a 13 bbl batch

4.12 Corriander (ground)
                        2.75 orange peel (granulated)

Both during whirlpool

We do use some acidulated, about 3% of grist

JackK

Comment

Here's what I do for a 7bbl batch, my spicing levels are more along the lines of SirBrewsalot and I've had great results, sublte and delicate spiciness...

55% Pilsner
                          40% Wheat
                          5% Flaked Oats

1.5# fresh ground corriander - I go to a local indain market to score mine
                          1.5# bitter orange
                          .5# sweet orange
                          3 oz grains of paridise

I split the spices evenly into to additions 10/WP. I've used a couple different strains and really like the Wyeast Trappist High Grav #3787

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

I used powdered coriander, just dumped it into the WP. The orange peel was put in a mesh bag and dangled in the whirlpool and steeped.
                            "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

wit beer

I want to do this beer soon as it fits in well with the cloudy beer problems I'm having. So guys I have one or two questions.

In summary of the thread:
                              pilsnermalt/wheat malt/wheat/oats
                              What original gravity is normal? 11Plato? 12 Plato?

What kind of attenuation can be expected with all that breakfast cereal in there, with, say, the belgian yeast?
                              Final gravity?

Bitterness under 20 IBU. Closer to 15 IBU than 20 IBU ?
                              Does the bitter orange peel actually add something to the bitterness?

What is the sweet orange peel for? What does it do for the beer?

Comment

Working...
                              X