PDA

View Full Version : Belgian Wit

boussh
06-02-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for a good wit recipe and one that i hve come across is a clone of Hogarden
36% Pale
36% Malted Wheat
12% Flake Wheat
12% Flaked Oats
Orange Peel and Coriander as herbs

Any thoughts on the grain bill or some hop suggestions?

gitchegumee
06-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Grain bill could be recipe for stuck mash. I use half the oats, 60:35:5 Pilsen/Wheat/Oats, and have used malted and unmalted wheat with great results either way. Very importantly, IMHO is to use only the best coriander and orange peel varieties in the right proportions, a great yeast, right fermentation temp, and don't use sulphur containing salts in the mash eg: CaSO4--leads to extended aging to reduce sulphury notes. Try Saaz hops. Good luck! It is a very satisfying beer to make.

Chip Tate
06-08-2004, 10:52 AM
With all that wheat and oats, you really might want to consider adding some hulls (rice, oat, or barley hulls) to the grist to improve lautering (3-8% of the rest of the grain bill)

CT

david_brandt
06-16-2004, 05:59 AM
I would use 50:50 Pilsener malt and flaked wheat. Wheat malt IMHO is for german style weissbier.

A tradional european hop Saaz or Perle would be nice. Or any other fruity and spicy hop. But don't use too much (IBU less than 20). Wit is not a bitter or hoppy style!

David

moonshadow704
07-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Recipe looks spot on, however in reguards to yeast, I recommend Wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit. It is the Hoegaarden strain and IMHO it the best all purpose Belgian strain. It also makes killer Saisons, Belgian Strong, and Pale ales

Cheers! George

liu
07-13-2004, 02:16 PM
As far as I heard, Herm Heggers from "de Raaf" brewery in Holland developed some wit bier recipes, that became so popular that his brewery was bought by Interbrew.
He started all-over again with a new brewery "de Hemel" in Nijmegen, Holland. He is a very nice guy, maybe he can give you more info on wit bier recipes.

http://www.brouwerijdehemel.nl/eng/informatie.htm

Brewer Bob
12-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Moroccan Coriander purportedly is superior to Egyptian coriander.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscoriander.html

Brewer Bob

Dancing Camel
08-15-2006, 04:25 AM
Anybody care to share their secrets? Amount, time in boil, etc.

Cheers

RobZamites
08-15-2006, 04:48 AM
Used #5 of coriander and #2 of orange peel at whirlpool for a 15 bbl KO -- flavors were quite nice and well developed even after a vigorous ferment :cool:

Good luck!

Sir Brewsalot
08-15-2006, 06:16 AM
WOW - and I thought I put a lot of spice into mine! Rob, was your coriander ground or whole (which by the way fits nicely into the gaps in the heat exchanger)?

By the way, I do a pound of each for a 7.5 bbl batch.

Cheers,
Scott

Captain Mullet
08-15-2006, 06:44 AM
How come no one has mentioned Acidulated Malt?

Sauce
08-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Heh, guess oursis a lil more over the top than Rob's ;-) Here's our spicing for a 13 bbl batch

4.12 Corriander (ground)
2.75 orange peel (granulated)

Both during whirlpool

We do use some acidulated, about 3% of grist

JackK

Hophead78
08-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Here's what I do for a 7bbl batch, my spicing levels are more along the lines of SirBrewsalot and I've had great results, sublte and delicate spiciness...

55% Pilsner
40% Wheat
5% Flaked Oats

1.5# fresh ground corriander - I go to a local indain market to score mine
1.5# bitter orange
.5# sweet orange
3 oz grains of paridise

I split the spices evenly into to additions 10/WP. I've used a couple different strains and really like the Wyeast Trappist High Grav #3787

Cheers!

Dave

RobZamites
08-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I used powdered coriander, just dumped it into the WP. The orange peel was put in a mesh bag and dangled in the whirlpool and steeped.

aswissbrewer
11-21-2006, 02:56 PM
I want to do this beer soon as it fits in well with the cloudy beer problems I'm having. So guys I have one or two questions.

In summary of the thread:
pilsnermalt/wheat malt/wheat/oats
What original gravity is normal? 11Plato? 12 Plato?

What kind of attenuation can be expected with all that breakfast cereal in there, with, say, the belgian yeast?
Final gravity?

Bitterness under 20 IBU. Closer to 15 IBU than 20 IBU ?
Does the bitter orange peel actually add something to the bitterness?

What is the sweet orange peel for? What does it do for the beer?

Jephro
11-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I know I mentioned this in another thread, but I have found that grinding your own whole coriander just before the addition releases the full potential of the herb. Like milling your own grain or grinding your own coffee beans.

my 0.02$
Jeff

boussh
11-21-2006, 04:36 PM
in my former life as a chef, i learned to toaste you seed slightly to resease the volitle oils. i even toast black pepper just slightly, the fumes from burning or brunt black pepper can be harmful to you and everyone around. I have a coffee mill that is used exclusivily for herbs and spices.

css
12-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Although I am not a commercial brewer, I have found that Chamomile along with corriander and fresh orange zest works best for the spices in my homebrews.

I learned this from Randy Mosher and it has made a huge difference in getting the proper spice of a wit.

Jephro
12-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I am curious about your source of chamomile, and how and when you add it?

leftnutbrown
12-19-2006, 06:01 PM
For spices www.sfherb.com, is the way to go. They have competitive prices and great products. :) :)

css
12-20-2006, 08:34 AM
I am curious about your source of chamomile, and how and when you add it?

Not sure this works on the commercial lever, but I used organic tea bags from Trader Joes. Added to the boil with 5 minutes left.

Here is the ale - http://www.shoremanorganicales.com/?p=20

edit - I'm thinking of using Harney & Sons chamomile flowers next time I brew this.

mr.jay
12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Check your local health food store. I get the dried flowers from a local health food store in bulk. It's a little cheaper than buying the tea bags, and the flavor is more pronounced. Never used it in beer, though.

Pablo Alvarez
03-03-2007, 09:27 AM
We have set up an emulsion of natural spices extracts and bitter orange peel essence called WB-MIX (white beer mix). WB MIX is a brand maker to add to a standard base beer with low bitterness (10-12 EBU) as unique requisite to obtain a white beer with a taste and flavour close to the main commercial Belgian white beers. We also have developped WB-MIX-D to produce a German type weissbier.

You can find more information about this "brand final touch" concept on our website www.cbsbrew.com

Cheers!

Pablo Alvarez
www.cbsbrew.com

BrendanM
03-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I tend to add some corriander to my wits. It seems to work pretty well.

Sulfur
12-20-2009, 10:35 AM
BEWARE orange peel! I have made the mistake of adding too much. Lesson learned, better too little than too much, in fact I may simply avoid in future.:eek:

beerking1
12-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Check your local health food store. I get the dried flowers from a local health food store in bulk. It's a little cheaper than buying the tea bags, and the flavor is more pronounced. Never used it in beer, though.

OK, I gotta ask. What do you do with BULK chamomile is you don't brew with it?

beertje46
12-22-2009, 07:11 AM
OK, I gotta ask. What do you do with BULK chamomile is you don't brew with it?

Uh, make tea. :D Most grocery stores sell tea bags of chamomile tea with Celestial Seasonings being the most common.