Organic Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Cleaning

This question is for all you certified organic brewers. What do you use to clean and sanitize? I'm assuming PAA to sanitize. Can I just use normal caustic for cleaning purposes? And what do you have in your spray bottles?

Cheers,
    Mike

At a brewery where I used to work, we treated cleaning no differently for our organic brands. Caustic -> acid -> PAA for CIP and iodophor in spray bottles. I think what you can/can't use will depend more on your certification agent than any hard-and-fast rules. PBW is probably more environmentally-friendly than caustic, and you may be able to use PAA (which, if I remember correctly, has pretty benign byproducts) in a combined acid/sanitizing cycle, but I'm shooting from the hip on those opinions.

Joe

Comment

cleaners/sanitizers

We use PBW as our main cleaner, Phosphoric on kegs about 2x/year. We use Peroxyacetic Acid (this is what you all mean by PAA?) as sanitizer.

Caustic is allowed in Canada. We prefer PBW because of ease of use/lack of dangerousness, and because of its beneficial effect on wastewater (it deals nicely with the high BOD caused by yeast in wastewater).

Check your rinsing: in Canada, all cleaners must be rinsed off (and documented) before anything else happens. Only PAA can be used as a leave-on sanitizer, others have to also be rinsed (which seems totally counterproductive to me).
      Crannóg Ales
      Canada's Certified Organic, on-farm microbrewery
      www.crannogales.com

Comment

Rebbeca,

Could I ask where you are getting the Peroxyacetic Acid from.

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

We get our peracetic from Ecolab, also PL-10. We get the PBW from Canada Malting in barrels.
          Crannóg Ales
          Canada's Certified Organic, on-farm microbrewery
          www.crannogales.com

Comment

Our certification agency requires a potable water rinse of any processing equipment that has had cleaning chemicals used on it except for Peroxyacetic/Peracetic Acid (PAA). It is the only sanitizer to my knowledge that is approved for a no-rinse situation by the USDA NOP. We use PBW (for the above mentioned reasons), and PAA. We use PAA in our spray bottles. We used to use 5-Star Saniclean, but always had to follow with a water rinse.

Comment

Double rinse only

Our local certification agency doesn't care what we plan to use, as long as we double rinse after cleaning. How we prove we've double rinsed, I don't know.
              Daniel ADDEY JIBB
              Microbrasserie Le Castor
              Organic Ales - Bières Biologiques
              Rigaud, Quebec, CAN

Comment

the acreditation agencies in the uk dont seem to mind as long as we prove that weve adequately rinsed the casks

i use holchem causdetta 25 for cleaning and holchel for beerstone removal and good old peracetic acid in my spray bottles

never really had any infection issues
                support the diamond empire

www.liverpoolorganicbrewery.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Gael We prefer PBW because of ease of use/lack of dangerousness, and because of its beneficial effect on wastewater (it deals nicely with the high BOD caused by yeast in wastewater).

Can you elaborate on the beneficial effect on wastewater?
                  Steve Bradt
                  Regional Sales Manager
                  Micro-Matic Packaging Division
                  Eastern United States and Canada
                  sbradt@micro-matic.com
                  785-766-1921

Comment

Working...
                  X