Ldk?? Wtf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ldk?? Wtf??

I hate to post my ignorance, but I've checked DeClerck and others and cannot find what LDK means with reference to malt extractability. Could someone educate an ASBC-kinda-guy with a definition, conversion formulas to simple cg-db %, and a reason why UK maltsters use this figure? Thanks in advance!!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Hey,

I believe you are looking at liter degrees per kilogram. Check out this link, it contins the method.

Progress in your career in the drinks industry with the gold-standard of technical drinks qualifications in brewing, distilling, malting, packaging and cider-making.
    Roger Greene

Comment

Great! Right! Starting to make sense. So, apparently the "degrees" correspond to specific gravity? Something like 1.0465 specific gravity would be equal to 46.5 degrees in this method? I've read that I divide the LDK by 386 to get ASBC FGDB? So a malt with LDK=305 would be 79% FGDB. Sounds about right, eh?

Comment

Yeah.

Here is an example.

to make 2 hl of wort with a gravity of 1.0450 with a yield of 90% and a malt of 305 LDK.

200 l * 45 GU/l = 9000 GU

9000 GU / .9 = 10000 GU

10000 GU / 305 GU/kg = 32.79 kg
        Roger Greene

Comment

Thank you so much. That makes sense and does help explain why this unit is in use--it's pretty straightforward. This board is great! Buy you a beer next time you're in Palau. Or when I'm in Scotland!

Comment

Working...
          X