PDA

View Full Version : mice in malt

wholehop
10-27-2010, 09:34 AM
We have tried all the traditional techniques( barriers, traps, baits) but still are having a hard time keeping mice out of our grain bags. Anyone have any ideas that they have had success with. Thanks.

BrewinLou
10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Since the weather turned cool we have had an influx. So far brewer 37, mice 0. But, they are no longer going for the traditional trap with peanut butter. Must be only the smart ones left. Little furbies are climbing up on the pallet racks to get to my Munich. I too am looking for a new tactic.

pbutlert
10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Go down to the local animal shelter and get yourself a hungry cat.:)

I H8 UM
10-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Get you some of these.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/bulk/storage-plastic-container-with-slanted-lid-32x48x34-yellow

If mice get in here, you have other problems.

Rich

HinduKush
10-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Get you some of these.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/bulk/storage-plastic-container-with-slanted-lid-32x48x34-yellow

If mice get in here, you have other problems.

Rich
Nice unit but won't hold one of Joel's bulk bags, let alone 20 of them.

brewery master
10-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Ok This Is The Best Mouse Trap Ever Parts Needed 1 5 Gal. Plastic Pail,12in. 1/2 Dowel 2 Small Nails And Yes Peanut Butter Place The Dowel Across The Opening Of Pale Center Nails In Ends Of Dowel And Through Top Of Pail Making A Log Roller With The Bait In The Middle Of Dowel Add At Least 6 In,s Of Water,keep A Eye On The Pail Or You,ll End Up With A Stinky Bucket Of Mice...i Have Had 5 A Day With This System Good Luck Don

liammckenna
10-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Hopefully not a cat like this (http://www.innocentenglish.com/cute-pictures/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cute-cat-and-mouse.jpg) one.

A brewery cat makes a lot of sense. Low maintenance.

I know local health people would not agree, but we just put the cat out whenever the health dude shows up.

Pax.

Liam

v2comp
10-27-2010, 05:37 PM
I have seen this problem fixed or at least managed by pulling out everything in the building they can hide behind, getting it all off the floor and cleaning the hell out of everything.
they spent 3 days removing old, unused equipment, boxes and just accumulated stuff and moving everything else away from the walls, then they basically sanitized everything, including the malt room, grain mill and even the loading dock.
they also cleaned outside the building and got everything at least 20ft away from the walls. they placed kill traps everywhere inside the building and put bait traps outside.
they found more than 10 in the building the day they started cleaning and over the next several days they caught another 20 or so.
after that, they started a monthly rat check and it has apparently kept them in check.

Swordboarder
10-28-2010, 12:05 PM
We've had some success with rat poison in bait stations. The key is to continue to rotate a few different kinds of bait ever 6 months to year. The mice that are immune to a type of bait will end up being the ones that reproduce leaving a new generation that is immune to that type of bait. As long as you're rotating the types you'll be able to kill off a majority. Don't use all of them at once or you'll end up with a population immune to all of them.

liammckenna
10-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Ok This Is The Best Mouse Trap Ever Parts Needed 1 5 Gal. Plastic Pail,12in. 1/2 Dowel 2 Small Nails And Yes Peanut Butter Place The Dowel Across The Opening Of Pale Center Nails In Ends Of Dowel And Through Top Of Pail Making A Log Roller With The Bait In The Middle Of Dowel Add At Least 6 In,s Of Water,keep A Eye On The Pail Or You,ll End Up With A Stinky Bucket Of Mice...i Have Had 5 A Day With This System Good Luck Don

Cool.

I have also seen a pivot lid garbage pail used as a pretty effective mouse trap. Just put a little peanut butter under the edges of the lid, 1/3 full of water.

Mouse walks on to the lid following the smell of peanut butter, lid pivots, mouse drops.

Pax.

kaptn06
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Snakes!! probably cleaner than cats in some ways and they stay out of the way! or fill grain containers with CO2.

juliobrewer
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I have yet to see any rodents in my new position but any turn up i'll bring in my pet Ferrets to take care of the problem.... They're very fast and efficient at getting into small spaces to.. "ferret" out hiding mice.

I think I read somewhere back in the old days of Germany there was such a title as "ferretmeister" for such problems on farms and breweries and such..

Why am I posting this? Just waiting for the runoff to finish and got a little bored..

Oh theres the pump running dry so back to work!!

kaptn06
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I have yet to see any rodents in my new position but any turn up i'll bring in my pet Ferrets to take care of the problem.... They're very fast and efficient at getting into small spaces to.. "ferret" out hiding mice.

I think I read somewhere back in the old days of Germany there was such a title as "ferretmeister" for such problems on farms and breweries and such..

Why am I posting this? Just waiting for the runoff to finish and got a little bored..

Oh theres the pump running dry so back to work!!
..good idea!! my ferret is still in the practicing hunting stage shes getting there though.......
what is this a pet forum?

tariq khan
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
..good idea!! my ferret is still in the practicing hunting stage shes getting there though.......
what is this a pet forum?

Dave,

Your ferrets will go after the mice but don't they attack people too ? (I think you trained them that way). I'm speaking from personal experience and I get along with animals. Don't recommend the idea really haha !
At least nobody will try to break into your brewery !

I could see you as a Ferretmeister if you ever get tired of brewing !

Cheers

P.S. Hope things are rolling along in Tofino !

mr.jay
04-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I saw this in a cartoon once, so I know it's legit. Find a cat. When the cat takes care of the mouse problem, get a dog to get rid of the cat. Then get a lion to get rid of the dog. If you have an opening large enough, you can bring in an elephant to get rid of the lion. Of course, if the elephant is stubborn (you know how elephants can be), the only way to get rid of him is with another mouse. Now you are back to square one again. You are probably better off just ordering from the ACME Co., although their crazy contraptions have been known to backfire, too.

Otherwise, seal off every nook and cranny. Buy snap traps, glue traps and peanut butter. Bait them, trap them, and repeat.

juliobrewer
04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Hey T,

My ferrets are very tame around people although the female Evey does like to give a good toe nip once in awhile... I do like to tell people they'll leap six feet vertical and latch onto their throats upon my command though and sometimes people believe it!

So to bring this discussion back to beer the Brewery is up and running and am finishing up brewing a double batch of Tuff Session Pale Ale today.

Good luck with the Vancouver Craft Beer Week next month.. Wish I could participate but we're just too busy getting the new place up and running but there's always next year.

Fellow Brewers check out this link for the promo for the VCBW when you've got a moment..

http://vimeo.com/22101861

Dave.

tariq khan
04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Haha That's hilarious Dave, a little toe nip is good .

Good luck with the brewing, see ya soon !

T

Crazy Eye
10-26-2011, 04:26 PM
While waiting for my brewer's notice, I had a ton of grain sitting around. I found two of these:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/schoeller-arca-systems/collapsible-plastic-pallet-boxes-17971-465544.html

and got them used for $80 each, with lid, previously used to store bagged vegetable oil (so no FDA materials issues). It'll take an additional lifting step each time I get a grain shipment or have to crush, but it's a heckuva a lot easier than traps/ferrets/whatever, and it just about guaranteed to work. These can also be lifted with my forklift, and I can sort my grain pretty easily.

Good luck!

CascadiaHB
03-06-2017, 01:11 PM
So I was thinking, Why not just store the grain on a pallet rack and then coat the bottom legs of the rack with tar. Mice try to climb up and get stuck, they never make it to the grain.

vaughan
03-06-2017, 02:01 PM
I use rags soaked in Simple Green to keep rats and mice out of my shop. Place the rags in corners of your space.

TGTimm
03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

The most effective way to control mice and other rodents in your grain storage areas is to exclude them. Seal any hole big enough to pass your smallest digit. The few that bypass this precation can be controlled with bait and traps.

As for cats, ferrets, wolverines, foxes, etc. for rodent control, DON'T. Both USDA and our state health dept. freaked when they found we had a "brewery cat". Barley the brewery cat has since gone on to where ever old cats go.

rdcpro
03-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

The most effective way to control mice and other rodents in your grain storage areas is to exclude them. Seal any hole big enough to pass your smallest digit. The few that bypass this precation can be controlled with bait and traps.

As for cats, ferrets, wolverines, foxes, etc. for rodent control, DON'T. Both USDA and our state health dept. freaked when they found we had a "brewery cat". Barley the brewery cat has since gone on to where ever old cats go.

I'm a fan of the "tin cat" mouse traps.

Years ago I read a story about a company in South America that rented out large snakes to granaries for rodent control. They'd turn loose a few large pythons or boa constrictors, and in one corner of the warehouse they'd place a heated pad. Monday morning, a bunch of happy and fat snakes would be found asleep on the heating pad, where the company would pick them up so the warehouse workers wouldn't freak.

Too bad about Barley!

Mike

TGTimm
03-07-2017, 09:14 AM
We use the Tin Cat traps. They work amazingly well. A while back we moved some equipment and found a Tin Cat that had been forgotten for years:

I don't even know how many mice there were packed in there!

wailingguitar
03-07-2017, 09:32 AM
We have this tin traps and have never had one catch a mouse, ever. Our pest control guy baits and sets them, has put out glue traps, etc, etc. There is really no way to prevent every point of entry, building is too big and too old. Even if we did, we know for a fact that we have had mice hitch a ride in on grain shipments. We don't have a major problem with mice, but they are around. The only thing I have ever seen effective was cats. One brewery I worked at had a bunch of feral cats that lived around there and it was the only place that had zero rodents

rdcpro
03-07-2017, 09:53 AM
We have this tin traps and have never had one catch a mouse, ever.

I've found the key with the tin cat is they need to be tightly up against the wall, with the door opening closest to the wall. Mice run along the wall, and if there is any space at all, they'll bypass the trap. You have to move them around until you find where they run and you'll start catching them.

But yeah, they can't eradicate them like feral cats can.

Mike

TGTimm
03-07-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm a fan of the "tin cat" mouse traps.

Years ago I read a story about a company in South America that rented out large snakes to granaries for rodent control. They'd turn loose a few large pythons or boa constrictors, and in one corner of the warehouse they'd place a heated pad. Monday morning, a bunch of happy and fat snakes would be found asleep on the heating pad, where the company would pick them up so the warehouse workers wouldn't freak.

Too bad about Barley!

Mike

Barely was 16 years old when she vanished. She had a good run of it and was utterly spoiled.

The snake idea is starting to sound good. The inspectors never said anything about reptiles in the brewery. I don't want to risk introducing exotic snakes to our area, so I'll just use our native Pacific Green rattlesnakes. What could possibly go wrong?