Heaving lifting in the brewery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaving lifting in the brewery?

Just trying to get a consensus of what kind of documentation or SOP's that you have in place in your brewery for lifting either kegs,grain,cases etc. We just recently have had a few minor injuries in our brewpub from lifting and wanted to make sure I have some proper documentation in place to try and avoid these type of injuries. It would be great if some of the folks here could comment on what works and what doesn't work for them. Thanks

Manual Handling

Here is a link to a UK web site that talks all about manual handling (leave it to the Brits).

and

Hope this can help some.
    Last edited by Roger Greene; 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM.
    Roger Greene

Comment

Here's our procedure for keg lifting. There are photos associated with this procedure but I can find the file on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Pax.

Liam
      Attached Files
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

thanks for the response, this helps a lot!! I love probrewer

Comment

Thx for sharing Liam!

Comment

Very important stuff!

Just like when you play sports or work out...it is important to lossen up a bit before lifting. Think before you lift and of course take a look for anything that might be in your path that you, your clothes and your lifted object might come in contact with. Get help if you have any doubts.

T

Comment

It sounds corny, but even posting safety signs about how to lift in the common heavy-lifting areas could help. Sometimes we need reminders about simple things when...distracted.
              The concept of rolling kegs instead of lifting is something younger brewers seem less aware of until it hurts.

Comment

I, too, was wondering about this. we are a packaging brewery and one of the requirements I put in place (and that you are allowed to do, by law, as part of the job) is being able to lift a 55 pound grain bag and a 57 pound "log" (or 5.2 gllon keg). The logs must be lifted to the second tier of a pallet, and then shrink wrapped in double stacks of 25 per pallet. My question to the brewing world is now the following:

these need to be pallet jack into a cold room. Currently, where the kegs are wrapped the floor is slopes at 1/4" per foot. In order to get to the cold room door, this stack must travel about 10 feet. I have no problems doing it (and am a fairly athletic dude), but it has come to my attention that some of my brewers either do not want to do it, feel it is to tough to move, and are concerned with their safety. I simply want to do what is fair to everyone. Often times they are here alone but I want the brewery shaped up at night before they leave with all kegs put away.

This double stack pallet weighs 2875#. It sounds like a lot, but again, you are not lifting in high, just across. Currently we do not have an electric pallet jack, but are looking into one....

Comment

Derek--
                  Can you eliminate some lifting by filling the kegs on the pallet? Or maybe a longer fill hose and fill them in place in the cold room?
                  Ive pushed around allot of pallets of grain with no problem, but maybe the extra 675# makes a difference.
                  Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                  tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                  "Your results may vary"

Comment

I like the wheeled aluminum pallets. I use them for pallets of grain at 2200 lbs., and find that they move a little easier than using a pallet jack. (Grainger/McMaster-Carr)

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs
                      Derek--
                      Can you eliminate some lifting by filling the kegs on the pallet? Or maybe a longer fill hose and fill them in place in the cold room?
                      Ive pushed around allot of pallets of grain with no problem, but maybe the extra 675# makes a difference.
                      I'm a big fan of moving an empty keg and a hose, versus a full keg. I've even filled kegs on the back of a distributor's truck if they can park it for a bit.

But a longer hose, and a dedicated "cold room coat" can do wonders for the back!

Comment

Working...
                      X