Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short cycling causes

Hi everybody,
    We just installed an old (bought it from a defunct brewer) 10 hp glycol chiller and it is now up and running and cooling great. Only problem is that a couple of times an hour it is short cycling. I know next to nothing about refrigeration but I know it's not supposed to do this.

Can anyone tell me or point me in the direction of the possible causes and solutions to this problem?

Cheers,
    Jeff

Widen the temp differential. Also many systems have a delay timer on startup. Check this as well.

Luck,

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Make sure when the setpoints are reached, it is wired to start and stop on pressure not voltage.(I've seen this before and it causes short cycling)

Check pressure switch and associated valve to ensure they are functioning correctly.

Comment

Your refrigeration technician should be able to make adjustments to the Low Pressure Control- this pressure sensing device is what turns the compressor off and on. You might have a small amount of refrigerant bleeding past the liquid refrigerant line solenoid valve during the OFF cycle, this causes the pressures to slowly increase and eventually causes compressor to cycle ON and OFF.

Newer systems will interlock the compressors with the cooling demand and lock the compressor out completely unless there is a cooling demand.

Good Luck,

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X