Illinois beer price laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois beer price laws

After the state agent of the ILC stopped in today. I was wondering if anybody has had issues with beer pricing in the state. I was aware that "happy hour" was illegal in illinois, however I was told today that our mug club, offering discounted prices to members, is illegal. Even giving a discount to ABA members is illegal. Are we just getting picked on because we are new because I know of a handfull of breweries offering mug clubs and definitely offering discounts to the ABA members. Just venting a bit but wtf! All people must pay the same price for beers all the time. The only thing I can do is run monthly specials on certain styles of beer. Any ideas on another good way to market the beers to create sales in these slow months when tourism fades away.

Thanks,
    Sean

More Beer?

Here in Peoria, IL we have a Granite City Brewery and they also have a mug club membership. Instead of giving a discount for beer, mug club members are upgraded from a 16oz to a 24oz beer for free. I assume that this "benefit" is legal since there isn't a monetary discount, but you may want to ask the ILC guy just to be safe. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Kaskaskia Brewing Company

Comment

upgrade

Thanks for the thought, based on what I was told today that is considered over pouring because every patron must pay the same price for the same quantity of alcoholic beverage. I will check with him and post results.

Comment

Same price for all people all the time

There is no way to get around this. If you have a special it must be available to all people all the time. From open to close on a given day if that is how you want to run it.

Mug clubs can exist but you can't discount the beer. They usually just have beer dinners, newsletters, special drinking vessel etc.

Did it for 8 years...

Tash

Comment

Working...
        X