Building a walk in Coolerr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a walk in Coolerr

Trying to put together a 20' x 8' x 7' walk in on a tight budget. A local market has gone out of business and has a number of Copeland Compressors available. The one reported to be in the best condition is a model EAV1-0200-TAC. It looks ancient. From what I can research on the web this is a 2 HP. Does it make sense to pick this thing up for $100. I would still need to find the condensor and evaporator. It is 3 phase, but I am thinking about going the converter route to get the single phase over to 3 phase. I am aware that there are new requirements for refrigeration coolant. Does this effect the type of compressor one needs? Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated as I want to avoid starting down the wrong path.

maybe

2 horsepower sounds small for that space and if its that old I would walk from it. Phase converters are ok for spot or occasional equipment use but for something that runs constantly I would either find a three phase location or source single phase equipment. Something to think about for in the future. You'd be better off going the cool-bot root or buying a complete compressor/evap assembly. Also check your local craigslist thats were we got ours, we were going to build one but by the time you price it out, studs, sprayed insulation, interior and ext sheathing, a commercial style door with lock, etc.. the used market was much cheaper.

Comment

I have an 8x14 with a 1 hp compressor and it can keep 38 deg in the heart of a south louisiana summer. 2 hp could work for your size, in my opinion. Just dont expect it to get to freezing temps.

If it was me I would never by a $100 compressor. You need it to be reliable and it probably isn't. My advice would be to call Barr refrigeration and get a refurbished 2hp. Priced used but reliability like new.

Andrew
      Andrew Godley
      Parish Brewing Co.
      Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

Don't Do IT!!

Look around for a complete system. The comp has been removed from the system and could very well be contaminated. Compressor oil may have leaked from the housing, it could have attracted moisture and produced acids which eat away the internals. The comp would have to be matched with an evap and condenser of an appropriate size to provide any kind of performance.

If you have a solid 1KW entrance or larger, single phase 240V, you won't need a phase converter. There are single phase 240V systems available. Contact our forum sponsor Pro Refrigeration (See Sidebar)

It might sound good now but will be headaches later.
        Last edited by Scott M; 12-08-2010, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I agree with the suggestions and would look for a complete system- at least a complete condensing unit.

Another option you have is a glycol heat exchanger for the cold room, and utilizing your brewery glycol chiller system to service this load.

We have a brewery survey sheet on our website (from home page select "markets", then "brewery" to download), www.prochiller.com. With this info we can determine the size system to service your brewery, and possibly your cold room too and provide some options.

Thanks

Jim
          Pro Refrigeration Inc.

Comment

Working...
          X