Dry Hopping Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Hopping Techniques

I would like information on dry hopping including hop choice, amount, and delivery method (sterilization?).

I have also made a post about hop tannin extraction and would also like to know if you have had any problems with tannin extraction related to dry hopping procedures. I have heard of people "dissolving" hop pellets in hot water before addition to the fermenter for sterilization purposes. It seems that might cause problems with astringency. Anyone?

Thanks,
    Chris Wilson
    Weyerbacher Brewing Company

I dry hop 7 BBLs of IPA with 3 lbs of cascade leaf in two large nylon mesh bags that have been soaked in sanitizer. I do nothing to sanitize the hops itself.

I wire-tie the bags to the TC probe so that they don't mess up my transfer and add it to the vessel before primary (everything I had read prior to this had stated to dry-hop during the secondary fermentation only... )

I've talked to a few brewers on the west coast who claim to dry hop with pellets that the just throw in to the top of their fermentors.

And, as far as using hot water to sanitize hops - Why would this cause astringency? You would maybe extract more of the bittering acids (which are highly insoluble in water and require hot water to dissolve) ...

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Brian

Ryleigh's Brewpub
    Baltimore, MD

Comment

I simply pour pellet hops thru the PRV port just before closing the fermenter to build pressure for natural carbonation (about 2 degrees above TG). Works like a charm, but don't pour the hops in too fast! It'll make a helluva mess!

TL
      BrewerTL

Comment

I use pellets at about 1/2 lb to 1lb per bbl for dryhopping. The amount depends on your hop variety and desired aroma. I bung my tanks at at 1 P before final gravity to get natural carbonation, so if I am not going to harvest yeast from that batch I dump them in through the Pressure Relief valve immediately before bunging. Watch out for rapid CO2 evolution, you will need to make sure the tank is vented and if hops start flying back up the funnel put the relief valve back on until it settles down. I sanitize only the funnel and hop scoop and bucket. If you need to harvest yeast you can still bung for natural carb then after harvest vent the tank and dry hop, then immediately pressure the tank back upt to proper level, you wont lose too much carb this way. I think I get better aroma dryhopping pre bung. If you are not going to filter the beer, be aware that you will probably get hop chunks in your beer. Fining should help.
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
        X