mug club pros and cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mug club pros and cons

Pretty straight forward. What are your thougths of offering a mug club, both brew pubs and beer bars. What works, what doesnt, do you feel like it improves your business, and what do you offer?

Us, 50 bucks a year, two buffet parties a year, 25 ounces for the price of 22, and discounted beer one day a week, discount on a meal on your birthday. Looking to tweak it.

What say you?
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

I the few discussions I've had with brewpub owners about this idea, the killing argument is "where do I store them?". Requiring the customer to take his glass home might work, but it seems more customer friendly if you can provide this service.

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn
      I the few discussions I've had with brewpub owners about this idea, the killing argument is "where do I store them?". Requiring the customer to take his glass home might work, but it seems more customer friendly if you can provide this service.
      We're hanging them from almost every available wall space. Gives a neat look to our back bar area.
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

where to store?

that seems like a silly cop out. Some places might be very small but there are always options. We have hooks around the bar. Another pub has a shelf that could be a bookcase.

My question is more about if you have one, how did it help or hurt business?
        "Uncle" Frank
        Frank Fermino
        Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
        Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
        Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

although no real firsthand knowledge as to the reasoning they used, The Cannon Brewpub in Columbus Ga began offering them almost as soon as they opened and has sold more than a thousand im sure. they had them hung from hooks, sittin on shelves and even built a glass fronted case for a bunch of them. it seems that most went unused a lot of the time but they also had/have a dedicated group of regulars that use them almost daily. when they started, the benefits were 20oz beers for a buck off the 16oz pint price anytime and half price appetizers anytime. they underwent a huge revamp a couple years ago and the restaraunt group brought in to manage the operation removed all the ones that werent being used regularly to the basement and they only keep the more regular customers mugs in the glass case. my opinion is they lost a little of their style when they did that. I also heard that they raised the prices and moved them so people would quit buying them, apparently the new management got tired of having to keep up with and replace broken ones at their cost everytime the dishwasher broke one.....lol
          www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

for sure

Read 'Permision Marketing' by Seth Rogin (sp?). You'd be nuts to NOT do one. they will be your most important customers. use technology to track and communicate with them.
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

Personal mugs?

I'm sure that some will say that a personalized, or numbered mug is essential to this concept, but do you really compromise loyalty by simply having a separate "class" of mug? That would probably help quite a bit with storage and replacement issues.

Comment

At my brewpub in Fort Worth, we had a mug club where we charged ~$60 per year and we had a large store of the year's special mug with our logo and CREW on the back (was called The Crew). At the end of the year, we simply purchased extra mugs to cover every member, then had them all engraved at the same time. Before sending the batch out to be engraved, we would have around 75 mugs of the next year's design etched with the "base" elements: logo and CREW. This seemed to work well and definitely solve the problem of storage for hundreds of mugs.

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Working...
                X