ASBC Hydrometers and Gravity Sampling points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASBC Hydrometers and Gravity Sampling points

Does anyone have a source for ASBC calibration hydrometers? I used to buy them from Rascher & Betzold, then they sold to Ertco who sold to Fisher and now Fisher says they're only made in Germany and they can't seem to find them. The el cheapo ones from Crosby & Baker have proven to be pretty inaccurate and I'm not quite ready to invest in a densitometer yet.

Also, I'm curious where other brewers typically pull wort samples from. I have found that I get different reading from the top of the kettle, midpoint in the kettle at a sampling port, whirlpool (at which point you'd expect it to be pretty homogenous) and fermenter. I'm curious what others do and if anyone else has experienced discrepancies like this.

Thanks,
    Steve Bradt
    Regional Sales Manager
    Micro-Matic Packaging Division
    Eastern United States and Canada
    sbradt@micro-matic.com
    785-766-1921

We have our mashing/kettle regime fairly dialed in at this point so we do not pull any samples from either unless it is a new brand for us. We take wort samples off of the backside post heat exchanger for initial balling. Then we take one sample when knockout is complete for the first batch and then once again when the second knockout is done. These samples are pulled from the zwickel and are also taken everyday until the beer reaches the attenuation rate we tested from knockout.

Comment

Hydrometers

I bought a set from Terriss USA... Probably not as good as the German ones you've gotten, but certainly better than C&Bs.
      Green Man Brewery
      Asheville, NC 28801

Comment

Working...
      X