Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Label Content Guidelines

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums but have been perusing for quite some time. This forum is certainly a wealth of knowledge. I couldn't find an answer to a question I had though regarding label art.

I recently commissioned a professional illustrator to design my beer labels for me for the future. He designs band tshirts and truthfully I was flattered that he is offering to take the time to do these designs for me at the particular cost.

My question though is the content.

Apart from the obvious risks of alienating your consumers by putting something objectionable on the label, is there a risk that a label can have your beer pulled from the shelf of any place even if the distributor is perfectly fine with the label?

I don't plan on putting any nudity, but the plan is to have very violent and otherwise, "colorful" designs that mimic what anyone would see on a regular basis on a death metal band's tshirt.

Here are examples of what this guy does:

If I submit a label with all the appropriate shtuff like surgeon general warning, beer style, ingredients that I'm required to mention, address of brewery... can I have any art on my label? Will they come back and censor the art? Or will they overlook that.

I did recently read about Flying Dog having their Raging Bitch pulled from shelves in Michigan because someone was offended, and I'm open to that happening, but my plan is to not make into Harris Teeter's or Total Wine.

Help.

Thanks in advance

----

I just found the answer to this here, regarding prohibited practices of labeling beer.

(3) Any statement, design, device, or representation which is obscene or indecent.
    Last edited by wormburn; 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM.

Well if your ready for rejection than you answered you own question. Also recognize Flying dog fought at the higher court level for the right to have several other "offensive" things on their labels. Bottom line yes your labels can be censored for "art", "Content", "intent" etc... and it is selective, DFH wanted to use the phrase "pils or pills" in reference to a lager but with a "cures what ails you" twist and was rejected, how ever Oskar Blues has "Mama's little yella Pils", so it just depends. Being a metal fan from Swede to Doom and appreciating everything about it, I think you would be severely limiting your sales market by using this specific "Gore" type of artwork. Its getting away from what beer is and more just about shock value, kinda a failure before you start scenario, IMO.
    Last edited by South County; 04-08-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

And just as a short comment - make your labels legible. You have less than 1 second to allow someone to read your packaging while skimming over 50-60 other beers on the shelf.

Comment

It is not my intention at all to be on massive shelves of beer. That's not my goal at all. I'd sooner shun half my market because they're offended by artwork and an illegible name than have something that's boring and written in Trajan Pro or some other lame font.

But all that is moot since I may not be able to. I spent a good amount of time yesterday reading about the label approval process and all the nightmare stories out there, and it sounds like I wouldn't have a chance.

There's method to this mayhem anyway. Losing 10 consumers because of offensive art will gain you another 10 with word of mouth. But I may be able to get around it by staying in the homebrew community for some time, use the labels of my choice, along with the names I wish, and then eventually using approved labels and after accumulating a faithful following, selling older bottle with the offensive labels as BOTTLES not beverages, for collecting.

Plus, the styles I want to brew should be aged anyway, so it'll work out.

Comment

Talk about niche marketing.

Not to mention ego.

How do I put this...do you want to make money in this business or do you want every one to be talking about your gory label that you believe to be artistic (on the slim chance it gets label approval)?

Don't confuse the two. They are not the same thing. Both might be considered 'success' but which mindset is going to pay your bills and allow you to continue?

While I agree that my perception of 'art' will differ than anybody else's, it should not be, even potentially, a barrier to my purchasing your product.

If you are comfortable with immediately alienating me as a potential consumer based on your label artwork (which you have basically stated), you might consider another business.

By the way, the difference between Flying Dog/Oksar Blues and your situation are twofold, wit and subtlety.

Best of luck,

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
          X