Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spent grain storage

Hello All

Our small brewpub is in an urban area and we have no room for a dumpster for spent grain. We will be giving away all of our spent grain to some local farmers, as is common practice. I'm thinking of using Dixie plastic 55 gal. drums for storage. Open-top w/ the seal-able lids. These drums may have to be stored inside for up to 2 days if I can't fit them in the alley behind the building. I'm hoping the lids seal well! I'd considered Brute drums but the lids are not secure enough for me. Plus, they're expensive.

Anyone using these Dixie food-grade drums for spent grain? Any other suggestions? 2 x 7 BBL batches per week should be 6-8 drums - any suggestions are welcome. Note that they have to fit through a standard 36" door and will need to moved around with a hand truck.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions from fellow urban brewers.

JB
    John Bleichert
    Water Street Brewing Co.
    Binghamton, NY

Maybe some ideas here

Comment

I have tried several of the plastic garbage cans, and the Brute ones are the only ones that hold up to the wear and tear and heat. They are expensive up front but last way longer than the others I have tried. The 55 gallons ones are a bear to move when full. We use the 30 gallon ones and the farmer does not want us to even fill these due to the weight of moving them onto the pick up and emptying them once he gets them there.

Jim Lieb

Comment

Not sure if they still do it this way, but Schlafly Bottleworks in Maplewood (St. Louis) grains out into large wheeled totes and then put "cold sticks" in them. The cold sticks are just a hose w/ glycol attached to a metal loop (stick) that goes into the grain totes to keep it cool until the farmer comes to pick up.

I'm sure Otto would give you more into on the design if you were to contact him.
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

30 gal. drums are what we use in the kitchen right now. After posting that yesterday I realized that a 55 gal. drum of wet grain would be a pain to move around and nearly impossible to lift. 30 gal. Brutes sound like a good idea.

einhorn- thanks for the link - that formic acid suggestion is interesting as well - will have to consult with some agrarian friends on that one.

Don't think we're ready for the Schlafly cold sticks just yet but that's an interesting story.
          John Bleichert
          Water Street Brewing Co.
          Binghamton, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Supernaut
            that formic acid suggestion is interesting as well - will have to consult with some agrarian friends on that one.
            After reading the MSDS for formic acid I'm no longer curious. Perhaps for a larger volume mash. Much larger.
            John Bleichert
            Water Street Brewing Co.
            Binghamton, NY

Comment

Working...
            X