international brewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• international brewing

i am a very experienced brewer, and looking for info on international brewing. wondering how difficult it is to get a job in another country, and what sort of things i need besides a passport? also, are any countries more strict or less strict about letting a foreign person work? i am most interested in europe or new zealend/australia. cheers!

You're going to get myself and certainly gitchegumee to respond to this one as both of us have extensive experience in working overseas. First off, taking a post overseas was the best thing I ever did. Second, NZ/Aus/Europe are probably not going to work out for you. You must have a skill that is not readily available in the country in which you intend to work. Just yesterday a post for a brewer in NZ/Aus (can't remember which one) and explcitly stated that you must be from NZ/Aus. Last time I checked Germany had more than a few brewers as well. Asia is your best bet by far. They throw work permits around pretty liberally in the countries I have worked in. Small Caribbean nations seem to work as well. South America might provide some opportunities? You may want to pm gitchegumee as he was talking about some things that might interest you.

Good luck
    Ted Miller

Comment

I have as well as the others have worked abroad. The most important thing you would need is documentation (and a considerable amount for many countries). You must prove that a person from within that country or community (as for the EU) can not do the job you have been hired to do. This usually means a formal qualification in brewing and experience. The previous post was true that it is hard to get jobs in the EU and AUS/NZ if you are not a citizen but it is not impossible. Many smaller companies in these locations often have problems hiring formally trained professionals to fill the ranks. However, The pay may not be that good because generally it would only be smaller companies that will go to the length of sponsoring candidates ( the larger companies usually have formal policies against doing this). If you are still interested after all of my negativity a recruiting firm called THE CARLING PARTNERSHIP based out of London helped me out on more than one occasion and I would highly recommend them.

Hope this helps
      jonofdc

Comment

I'm an American and I brew in Italy. Its a long story.

I think it would be great to have another American Brewer here. I did it, I dont think you have to really worry about documents until you decide to start your own buisness. I have work permits and health cards etc. But you can get by with out them.
        There are alot of new micros in Italy and brewers are in demand. I think they pay better than the US as well.

You can email and ask me more

romabrew@libero.it

Mike Murphy
        www.Lervig.no

Comment

Hi Ted! Same here; best thing I've ever done. But you have to be made of pretty flexible stuff. For example I've been away from my family and missed the funerals of 3 uncles, 2 aunts and a sister in law in my current assignment. You have to be extremely resourceful with respect to breakdowns/spare parts/english vs metric, sourcing ingredients/planning/logistics, differing work ethics, not to mention the language barrier. Many non-European micros don't know too much about beer and will straightjacket you with THE three beers: Helles, Dunkles, and Weizen. Those frustrations can test a brewer by fire and make you better at what you do, if you have the inclination. And you should have a stellar resume if you are to be taken seriously. If you are still interested, IM me, perhaps I can help. Good luck!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Another point of view......different nationality. Basically, on the road since 1984, not all brewing but my thought. Great move.... but agree with alot of gitchegumee and other responses and more. "Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed", worst case, but otherwise can have a grand time.
            Considerations, not all negitive but...
            Married?
            Kids?
            Expectations?
            Sorry, American? Did see and hear some negitive on this or they are persistant in looking for a "German Brew Master".
            Pay?
            benifits?
            Promises?
            Brewery or brewPub, Big difference.
            The above are all there, but depending on who you are dealing with, you might have to persue them more then you are use to.
            Make sure your C.V. is very good and you are "determined" and "Fexible".
            I know gitchegumee has done a great job breaking some of the mentality barriers I mention above, but maybe it's your turn now.
            It's a "Big" small world.
            Regards,
            Matt
            Last edited by matt; 08-31-2004, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X