what shift does a head brewer work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what shift does a head brewer work?

I am the head brewer of a 15,000-20,000 bbl a year brewery. We are growing quite rapidly these days. I have been with the company 7 years. I started bottling and kegging. In my first year I worked my way into a position as one of the brewers. I worked my way up to head brewer about 3 years ago. The head brewer before me worked a 9-5ish type shift. As head brewer I have worked a heck of a lot more than that. Last year at this time things had settled in to my liking. My brew shift was 7am until 1pm. I then had a couple of hours to look at the fermentations and plan my yeast ect. I now have a new boss and my responsibilities have increased. I manage yeast and fermentations, all raw materials, all chemical, over see QA/QC, product development. I am expected to do this wile being one of only 2 who produce wort. Often my brew shift is 10am-10pm or 12pm -12am or 9am until 7 or 8pm. I do all the dry hopping and often have come in on the weekend to do it. Rarely is there a day that I don’t walk through the brewery. I am wondering what shift other head brewers of breweries our size work? I watch my boss work 8:30am until 5pm and miss the good old days of having a more normal life. With how things are configured right now it would not be a reasonable possibility for a brewer to take a vacation. I am thinking I need to sit down and have a serous talk with my new boss, but would like to make sure I am reasonably in line with what goes on at other breweries.

It sounds to me like you definitely need to talk to your boss. Besides not being able to take time off, what if - God forbid - something happened to one of the brewers? The operation would come to a screeching halt while your boss is in a frenzy finding a replacement. The situation you're in seems like a backup situation if something happened that lead to a brewer's position being empty. If 6-7 day/week, 12 hr shifts is the owner's answer to make $ during year round normal operation, then some other area is being mismanaged. I can see doing this during the first few years of being open, but for a brewery of your output and age, it just seems miserly.

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Just wanted to clarify. My week is 50-60 hours. The other brewer is about 50 hours. The other brewer works 4-5 days and I work 5 days with weekend fermentation checks and dry hopping. A year ago we had 3 brewers and things just worked better...

Comment

I'd say you obviously need to hire another brewer, as well as a cellar man probably. That situation sounds frustrating. My experience brewing on that same level was quite a bit different. We had a 30 bbl brewhouse, and would typically brew 90-120 bbls in a day, about 4-5 days a week. Someone was in everyday to do grav/temp checks and yeast drops, and that was always a brewer as we were the only ones on salary. We had a head brewer, two shift brewers, and one dedicated cellar/QC guy. For the most part the head brewer didn't brew at all unless to fill in because of vacation or if it was a huge week. First shift was 6-2, second shift was 1:30-9:30. The head brewer was generally in about 8-5. We all worked about 45 hours a week, and were in about 6 days a week with one being a short 2 hour day to check gravs/temps and do yeast drops. Was hard work but wasn't overbearing.

Comment

It unfortunately sounds like you about to enter the adversarial phase of your relationship with your boss.

It sounds like your boss has allowed a precarious situation to develop in terms of stability of production. 20 000bbl from two dedicated brewers is sparse to say the least. He/she is as responsible for your current situation as you are.

Him/her for not understanding their resource set (including humans) and being too demanding and you for the inability to say no.

Saying 'no' is a learned skill. It is the most difficult word to utter in a work environment.

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Over worked

Hi

Liam is correct, and the situation is not your fault, but you are the one who is most at risk. I have been in many situations were my boss and I had major disagreements and only a few worked out well. Be careful you need to convince your boss it is in the best interest of the brewery to have at least one more brewer. I have worked at a profitable brewery that produced 20,000 bbl with three brewers a cellar man, and a lab person that helped with the cellars.

Remember that your boss's personality will have a huge affect on the out come of your discussions.

Good Luck

Graydon

Comment

I'm very close to your situation. Head Brewer, 30,000 Bbl/year regional, worked my way up etc. We run a staff of 4 brewers plus myself. One shift is generally 9-5 cellaring only with morning brewer being 6 AM - 2 PM, night brewer 4 PM - 2 AM and the gap guy covering the brew from 2 PM - 4 PM then finishing filtrations and tank cleaning. I'm responsible for recipe maintenance, physical QC, safety, record keeping and filling in where needed. When a brewer is on vacation I cover the 9-5 filter shift and if it's not the 9-5 guy on vacation, he covers the vacationer's shift. We rotate weekend duties between the 5 of us. Sounds pretty stable, right? I still regularly work 50+ hours on salary and the brewers have racked up over 250 hours of OT through now for 2011. So I feel pretty comfortable in saying you are overworked and under staffed. Good luck with the boss.

Comment

Yep, you're understaffed, need to document how many man-hours you and the other brewer are putting in, and make a compelling case for hiring a new guy to take up some of the excess!

My last brewing job (jeeze, 12 years ago!) was like that, and I burned out so bad that I'm STILL a "former brewer"! It seriously took me over a year to recover and feel normal after I quit...

Tim

Comment

Working...
                X