Saniclean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saniclean

I've got a couple of gallons of 5-star Saniclean laying around the brewery. What can I use this stuff for? My (limited) research seems to indicate that it's basically an acid-rinse product, but not a no-rinse sanitizer.

Any thoughts on how I can use this stuff up?
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Better to ask Five Star, but I'm pretty sure you can use it as a no-rinse CIP sanitizer.

Comment

It's my favorite general purpose sanitizer. Use it as you would any anionic acid rinse sanitizer. It does not need to be rinsed in concentrations lower than 200 ppm...which is the concentration I've always used it. The main benefit is it is low foaming as well as non-oxidizing. I use it for H/X, fermenters, bright tanks, and the filter.

Comment

Thanks Chaser. I'll give it a try in my fermenters, brites and HX. Do you use it on a plate and frame filter without rinsing?
        Hutch Kugeman
        Head Brewer
        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Saniclean

I use Saniclean to pack and store my plate and frame with the recomened 200 ppm. We simply drain and refill with fresh water to precoat. Hope this helps.
          Frank Kassik
          Kassik's Brewery

Comment

Originally posted by kugeman
            Thanks Chaser. I'll give it a try in my fermenters, brites and HX. Do you use it on a plate and frame filter without rinsing?
            It's been a few years since I used the P/F but I seem to remember running a 20 minute pasteurization loop on it, then cooling it down and running a 20 minute sani-clean cycle on it. We did not rinse it, but I purged the hell out of it, and used a block and bleed in front of the bright tank and would usually run a few gallons to the floor before letting it into the tank. We packed the filter with it at the end of the day as well.

Comment

I wanted to chime in to say that I heard a guy from five star saying that they can't legally say that saniclean is a sanitizer due to licensing but... ...it will kill in 30 sec and doesn't need to be rinsed.

Comment

I use it to sanitize kegs prior to clean storage and subsequent filling. I recirculate for 1.5 minutes into the kegs from a 15 gallon tank of saniclean. No rinse. Just purge and pressurize with CO2. I use 6 oz saniclean per 15 gallons RO water. Just like any other solution prep, DI or RO water works best and the solution will hold its desired characteristics (pH, etc) longer.
                Andrew Godley
                Parish Brewing Co.
                Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

Saniclean is definitely a no-rinse sanitizer. It is also advertized as a "flavor neutralizer" in the sense that it will knock out any off-flavors that may exist in lines, kegs, etc...

I really only use it for sanitizing bottles, which, IMO it works great for. It's detergent free, so it doesn't foam up or leave any residue. The dilution rate is 1oz/3gal of water and sanitation contact time (for bottles) is about 1-2 minutes.

I suppose you could use it for CIP applications, but I've never given it a try in that area.

Comment

Multi-use

We use saniclean as a final acid rinse in tank CIP applications, part soaker, bottle sprayer, final keg acid rinse, DE filter sanitizing, and beer bottle sanitizing. I love it's multiple uses! I also have heard that they are legally not allowed to call Saniclean a sanitizer due to the cost of licensing it as one. Oh, and because of this our health dept inspector gave me a little flak saying we can't use this as a sanitizer, even after explaining to her it is an acid anionic rinse (a type of sanitizer)! Good thing I had a bottle of Starsan (which is licensed to be a Sanitizer) to show her we had a sanitizer on hand.
                    Last edited by Diggity Dave; 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X