Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Brewer: Recommendations for Brewery Chemicals

Hello all,

What are your recommendations for caustic, acid, and sanitizing stainless brewhouse equipment? I am a total rookie when it comes to pro side products.

Thanks,
    Mills

Originally posted by Mills
    Hello all,

What are your recommendations for caustic, acid, and sanitizing stainless brewhouse equipment? I am a total rookie when it comes to pro side products.

Thanks,
    Mills
    Hi Mills,
    Five Star Chemicals in Commerce City, Colorado, just outside Denver.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Mills,
      Check out Debbie at Enerco 800-292-5908 or dsmith@enercocorp.com Michigan based (Grand Ledge) and a big supporter of the industry in Michigan!
      Jim Brown, Owner
      Happy Tappy Draft Beer Services
      3440 Win Kae Place
      Bay City, MI 48706
      989-233-2221

Comment

Birko has the best.

Birko provides an integrated approach for complete food safety solutions. Eliminate pathogens. Reduce risk. Improve sustainability. Preserve taste.

Bru R Ez is the best cleanser I have ever used, caustic or noncaustic.

They have a fantastic selection of high quality acids, caustics, non-caustics, foamers and non-foamers.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Lou,

I went from 5-star to Birko for one order, then realized how much more ammt. of Birco CIP powdered chemicals were needed. I just switched back for cellar and fermenter. I bought liquid for brew house from them and I am happy with that.

Comment

For my $$$

I have used Five Star, Birko, Loffeler...

They are marketing themselves heavily to the brewing industry and they all make great products. Here is what I am currently using and why.

Caustic:
            Zep FS CIP cleaner. By far and away the strongest caustic cleaner I have ever used. Far cheaper than anything from the the three mentioned above. Needs no de-foamer during CIP. Once a month I will do a 2% caustic + 1% Chlorine cycle on my brewhouse (never let the temp rise above 140F) followed by a passivation cycle.

Acid:
            Every manufacturer makes a Phosphoric/Nitric acid cleaner. How much you have to use it will depend on your equipment and what your level of anal retentiveness is. I am currently using Loffeler, but when that runs out, I will probably be using Zep as their prices are better and I don't have to pay for shipping. All 304/316 stainless equipment should be passivated at least once quarterly.

Non-caustic cleaner:
            In my career I have tried just about all of them. Sodium metasilicate is the main ingredient in the better powdered products. It is pretty $$$ but I have yet to find something that works better than PBW. I don't use it on my fermenters, but I rotate between this and caustic for my brewhouse CIP. Some of the proteins and other organic solids that this will clean is pretty shocking. Can work as well as chlorinated caustic in some applications.

Sanitation: Iodophor works fine for a soak bucket but foams up when used with a pump and spray ball. Some will ardently push PAA (peroxyacetic acid; Loffeler) and others will tell you chlorine dioxide is the best. Still others use Starsan or something similar. PAA and chorine dioxide are both fairly dangerous, especially their fumes, but they have the widest kill range. I am no chemist, but I think that chlorine dioxide is both a little more dangerous and has a wider kill range. Again, I have found the price from Zep for both to be far cheaper than the 3 that market to the brewing industry.

Hope that helps.
            Cheers,
            Jeff

Comment

Chemical

Talk to a local dairy farmer and ask who they are using for a supplier.
              Enerco is too expensive.
              Five Star is too expensive.
              Birko is cheaper but their concentrations are weak.
              I haven't used Loeffler...
              Generally, any chem company that is targeted at the brewing industry charges more for their product. Chemical is chemical (ie. % sodium hydroxide is the same, regardless of who manufactures it!).
              Save money. Shop around. Look for chem suppliers not targeted at the brewing industry...

Comment

Sure, Brian.
                And, most of the time, new brewers end up paying more chemical because they are allowing the chemical company (ie. company "specializing" in the brewing industry) to tell them what they need. We've all read "What is Enlightenment" ... right? Anyway... no, I'm not talking about homebrew equipment and pricing from Chem companies that market to "home" brewers...

Comment

We are using Shephard Bros. chemicals. Good prices, and great results.
                  Paul Thomas
                  Brewer
                  Sockeye Brewing
                  www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
                    Birko has the best.

Birko provides an integrated approach for complete food safety solutions. Eliminate pathogens. Reduce risk. Improve sustainability. Preserve taste.

Bru R Ez is the best cleanser I have ever used, caustic or noncaustic.

They have a fantastic selection of high quality acids, caustics, non-caustics, foamers and non-foamers.
                    This.

IMHO, 5 star is over rated and over priced. PBW can't hold a candle to Bru-R-Ez. (PBW was knocked off Bru-R-Ez after a great article on non-caustic cleaners in New Brewer back in the 90's. The article presented all the R & D that Birko did with a metallurgist to develop Bru-R-Ez.)
                    Cheers!
                    David R. Pierce

Comment

It depends a bit on your water & shipping costs. I've used PBW in both hard and soft water locations, and with a soft water location I was able to use it effectively at about 1/2 the recommended strength.

But the deciding factor for me has been shipping cost and convenience. My malt supplier (North Country Malt, or I guess just Country Malt Group now) will throw a 5 gallon pail or 4 x 1 gallon box onto the pallet of malt I order. So the shipping cost is basically nil. AND it all comes as part of the malt order I'm already getting. It makes things way easier. But I'm also in a 7bbl brewpub, so if you're ordering in larger quantities you might find something different works better for you.

All of the suppliers & products mentioned are good and will get the job done. Just find out what works for you.
                      Hutch Kugeman
                      Head Brewer
                      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

There is some great info in here. Subscribed...
                        Two Fisted Brewing co.
                        in planning stages, slated for west
                        side of Grand Rapids MI.
                        troy@twofistedbrewing.com

Comment

We use Lerapur 283 as a caustic soak for a day or two and then a Peracetic rinse on brew day.

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.
                          Jeffrey Oparnica
                          Assistant Brewer
                          The Burnt Hickory Brewery
                          www.burnthickorybrewery.com

Comment

PBW, Hell ya!

Originally posted by HinduKush View Post
                            This.

IMHO, 5 star is over rated and over priced. PBW can't hold a candle to Bru-R-Ez. (PBW was knocked off Bru-R-Ez after a great article on non-caustic cleaners in New Brewer back in the 90's. The article presented all the R & D that Birko did with a metallurgist to develop Bru-R-Ez.)
                            I disagree. I have used both side by side to clean dirty fermenters. You can get the same effect of PBW with Bru-R-Ez but it took more in my experience. Any upfront savings at our brewery was negated by dosing quantities. We're still using PBW. It works great . Usually you can get away with using half to three quarters of what they recommend and still get the job done. Just my personal experience.

Comment

Who makes and sells PBW? I've seen it mentioned frequently, but never with the manufacturers name.
                              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                              X