Filter Plate Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter Plate Storage

i was wondering how you guys store you're filter plates when not in use.
    i use our filter only once in a while. my plan is to cip the filter backwards after filtering, pull out the plates, brush them down with a light pbw solution, inspect, and rinse off.

i would like to store the plates in a rubbermaid container with a solution.
    would it be better to store in a caustic solution or an iodophor or peracetic acid solution (and periodically refresh chemicals)?
    we also have a product that is like a foaming acid called film remover which contains phosphoric acid.

thanks

Originally posted by ibrewforyou
    i was wondering how you guys store you're filter plates when not in use.
    i use our filter only once in a while. my plan is to cip the filter backwards after filtering, pull out the plates, brush them down with a light pbw solution, inspect, and rinse off.

i would like to store the plates in a rubbermaid container with a solution.
    would it be better to store in a caustic solution or an iodophor or peracetic acid solution (and periodically refresh chemicals)?
    we also have a product that is like a foaming acid called film remover which contains phosphoric acid.

thanks

How often is once in a while, I would say after cleaning reassemble, pack with sani, star-san for instance and keep in the walk-in till your ready to use.

Comment

Why store wet?

Don't understand why you would store wet. Wouldn't it be prudent to clean well and then keep the plates dry? Rinse, sanitize and use when you need to. Storing in a solution doesn't seem to offer any benefit.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
        Don't understand why you would store wet. Wouldn't it be prudent to clean well and then keep the plates dry? Rinse, sanitize and use when you need to. Storing in a solution doesn't seem to offer any benefit.
        Well two things, depending on the time frame, are we talking a week or two or are we talking months at a time. If its just a week or two stripping it down after a filter, a good cleaning and then reassemble and pack with sani, the plates are usually noryl/plastic, there meant to be "wet". Thats the way Ive seen and done it in the past. IMO, the plates aren't sitting around picking up whatever, particularly if they are older and may have some cracking at the edges. When your ready to use pull from the walk-in, make your connections, push the sani out your T, then send the beer on over.

Comment

Fair enough. I'd do the same for daily use. Monthly, I'd go dry. I keep my stuff clean and dry if not used at least weekly. I have a problem with mold on anything damp here. Depending on the type of sanitizer you use, it could have a short life. Peracetic, for example, will degrade quickly and leave an aqueous solution for bacteria to live. Besides, as it degrades it generates oxygen which is harmful to most plastics. Other sanitizers like Star-San might be much more appropriate for packing and storing. I've had problems with iodophors leaving a metallic taste to light beers--even with tiny residual amounts. A covered container will keep out contaminants.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I hear ya on the mold, here in southern PA, amongst the corn and soy fields, particularly in the humid parts of the year its a challenge. Starsan seems to hold up well, and Im not as fearful of using it being as those its active acid is phosphoric. Never been an Iodophor fan.

Comment

Working...
            X