Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 BBl Glycol Pump

Hey folks,

I have a question about glycol pumps. I have 3 2BBl fermenters I am trying to chill and each one holds about 5 gallons each. I have a glycol beer line chiller that has the capacity to do a 450' long run. Unfortunately all these chillers are made for high flow and low pressure so I need to replace the pump to change to a high pressure, lower flow scenario. I have asked Jim, but I am in a bit of time crunch. I know he is really busy and does his best to answer all of our questions! Thanks Jim! So does anyone know a decent affordable pump that can handle the job? One that is not two aggressive for the 3- 2BBLs, but will also be able to expand out to more fermenters as well? Thank you for the help in advance!

Cheers
    ~Matt
    Cheers,

Matt Whalen
    www.goodnaturebrewing.com

Usually glycol chillers are made for high pressure, low flow. The pumps used in most (read: Micromatic) are positive displacement gear pumps. A 450 foot line, there and back, through small tubing represents quite a bit of restriction to the pump. The manufacturer want to ensure that any length of line gets the same flow rate & cooling--hence positive displacement. Flow rates are typically 4 gallons/minute. Sounds just about right for your application's flow rate. Don't know about the cooling capacity. I don't see why you would need to change the pump. What is your concern?
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Sorry for not being able to get back in touch, am currently out of country. We can supply you a 1/2HP pump from our smallest chiller system but am just not that familiar with the micromatic- I doubt it would have the correct line sizing to enable this pump to be easily addedand operate correctly. Have you tried operating with the tapline pump and not been able to cool, or maintain, your fermenters?

The other option is an inline booster pump available from suppliers such as wwgranger, these you match to your line size and might be the easiest to apply and locate. Of course the chiller manufacturer may also have some options, they will want to insure you have design flow at the evaporator to deliver reliable and efficient operation.

Wish I had more help, good luck.

Jim

Comment

My concern.

Originally posted by gitchegumee
        Usually glycol chillers are made for high pressure, low flow. The pumps used in most (read: Micromatic) are positive displacement gear pumps. A 450 foot line, there and back, through small tubing represents quite a bit of restriction to the pump. The manufacturer want to ensure that any length of line gets the same flow rate & cooling--hence positive displacement. Flow rates are typically 4 gallons/minute. Sounds just about right for your application's flow rate. Don't know about the cooling capacity. I don't see why you would need to change the pump. What is your concern?
        Phillip,

I appreciate the feedback! My concern is not such a concern, but a truth. The pump itself just doesn't have the lift to get the liquid to move through the fermenters. I can't seem to push 5 gallons of liquid through the vessels even with focusing on one FV at a time and shutting off the loop and going directly to the fermenter. So I feel a new pump is needed. If you can think of anything else that may be happening please let me know. Thanks again!

Cheers
        Matt
        Cheers,

Matt Whalen
        www.goodnaturebrewing.com

Comment

Working...
        X