Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you clean your filter? (plate and frame)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you clean your filter? (plate and frame)

Just wondering how you guys clean your plate and frame filters with pads between filtrations. Every place I've worked at does it a bit differently.

The last brewery I worked at ran acid through pads during CIP, but the filter was a secondary after the DE filter. The place I work at now uses plate and frame as the primary filter. We only backflush with hot water, cool, and pack with PAA. I am toying with the idea of running acid through them (phosphoric/nitric blend).

Of course when the pads get changed we do a full caustic cycle.

The first brewery I worked at ran caustic and acid through the pads and they lasted about a week, roughly 300 BBLs or so. This was also the primary filter.

At some point the plates should be scrubbed well with a brush with foaming caustic, TSP etc., paying special attention to the 'pass though site'. (Periodic inspection here by removing the screws and opening is advised.) I would then spray with foaming sani and not rise. Let stand dry until next use.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Yeah we do a fairly thorough cleaning of the plates when we rip out the pads, and about every 2-3 months we take out the donuts and give them a good soak.

I'm trying to prolong the life of the actual pads and looking for some feedback for cleanings with used pads in.

Comment

Working...
      X