Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Kegging Basics

Hello everyone,

I've just discovered Probrewer...thanks to all those that have contributed to the discussions, I'm finding it very valuable!

One topic I can't seem to find any posts regarding (forgive me if I've missed them), is regarding how the micro breweries typically keg their beer. I only have home corny kegging experience and limited experience with British cask conditioning.

Questions that I'm struggling to answer:

* Do micros keg condition their product? e.g. prime or complete fermentation in the keg. If so, how do you deal with issues of the resultant sediment?
    * Or, do most micros rack bright beer into kegs. If so, is the beer carbonated prior to racking, carbonated inline during racking, or forced in the keg?

Any info and experience helping me put this piece of the puzzle together would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rosie
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Hello Rosie!

I think you will find as many different answers to your question as there are micros!

Currently I "keg condition", keg re-fermentation really. I rack into my bottling / kegging tank, prime, re-yeast, mix, and then fill. Allow carbonation to develop, then ship 'em out. As for the sediment, I am lucky to distribute in an area familiar with yeasted beers. Bartenders are often (hopefully!) familiar with beer that throws an inordinate amount of yeast from the first and last pints out of a keg. I also buy all my kegs reconditioned. As they are cleaned and refitted I have the option of having the spear shortened by a small amount, helping with the sediment issue.

In the past I have dropped the beer bright, using finings, racked into the packaging tank, force carbonated using a carbonation stone, and kegged. This generally produced a very bright keg that only developed sediment upon extended aging (say for a barley wine or strong ale).

I also know of many small brewers who force carbonate using top pressure in the keg. I know very few that carbonate in line, but some do.

So the answer is; they do whatever they have to do to get the beer into kegs, and to market in the condition they desire for their beers / brands.

Does that help?

Aloha,
    Ron

Comment

Kegging

We use a DE filter during transfer from the unitank to the bright tank. Eventually we will be using sterile filtration for our canned product to get longer shelf life. We keep a head preasure on the tank but most of our carbonation is through force carbonation with a stone. We test the beer for proper carbonation, touch it up when needed, and keg the beer in clean and sanitized sankeys.
      Travis

Warbird Brewing

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Comment

Thanks Ron and Travis for your input.

Ron's example is very similar to my experience with Cornys, so that was very interesting. After delivery to the customer, do you instruct them to leave it settle for a period of time before pulling that first pint of yeast?

Thanks again.

Rosie
        Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
        Chairman of the Beer
        Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
        Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
        W: www.lovibonds.com
        F: LovibondsBrewery
        T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Working...
        X