Tons = BTU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tons = BTU

I am trying to size a chiller system for a 4bbl brew system. I have one 4bbl fermentor and 2 4bbl conditioning / serving tanks (jacketed) I may add another fermentor and brite later on but for this discussion I will start here. I have been told I will need at least 3,000 BTU per tank and have seen some models rated in TONS. Other places rate it by the compressor size like 2 hp. Can someone tell me how these all equate? Am I on the right track with my size? Also what size glycol bath do I need? Thanks

I ran a cooling load estimate based on a 4 Bbl FV being crash cooled from fermentation temp (68 F) to conditioning temp (34 F) in 24 hours and 2 Ea 4 Bbl Conditioning tanks holding at 34 F. The estimated cooling load is about 3,000 BTU/HR.

You will want a chiller system rated at least at 3,000 BTU/HR cooling capacity at 28 F Glycol and 90 F Ambient. This is roughly something in the 1/2 HP Range.

1 ton of refrigeration is 12,000 BTU/HR.

Our systems currently start at 2 HP, rated at about 15,000 BTU/HR. Quite a bit oversized for this duty, unless you plan to expand and add tanks in the near future.

Hope this helps,

Jim
    Pro Refrigeration.com

Comment

BTUs

Thank you Jim, that helps me alot.
      One other question, What size glycol bath (reserve) do you think I will need ?
      I see alot of chillers for longline draft systems and the Micromatic MMPP 4302 perhaps could work? I am in India building this thing and will be shipping it to Kiev to install. Micromatic Asia will not even return my calls nor will the Russia Rep. I will have a few weeks in Germany to deal with this but I have an option to have it custom built in Germany as we eventually need dozens of them. So thinking now weather I should waste more time dealing with Micromatic or start fresh in a country that knows what a Brewery is.
      Thanks,
      Vance

Comment

What is your budget for this unit, would you be interested in a quote for a system imported from the United States?

We just manufactured a small 1/2 HP Chiller system rated at apprx 6,000 BTU/HR- this was built for a tradeshow display. We are considering adding this to our product line. This system is supplied with a 5 gallon reservoir. We will be testing this in a brewery following the tradeshow.

With our ChilStar Series (2 HP to 7.5 HP) operate with a 22 gallon reservoir, our larger systems are supplied with reservoirs from 100 gallons up to 2,000 Gallons.

Good luck in your venture.

Jim
        Pro Refrigeration Inc, manufactures, and distributes state-of-the-art chiller systems for the dairy, craft brewing, wineries, & many more!

Comment

Budget

To be honest I don't know what my budget is but I I know my bosses are cheap (aren't they all?). Multiple units are will be needed and maintaining and servicing them all over the world plays into a factor of x=1 quality source from 1location Y=a knockoff from ? &Z sourcing our refridgeration in each location. My bosses are willing to listen to any informed suggestions I make but we are talking about 20+ countries here. What do you suggest? The mantra is "do it right" but we we do have costs and realites to deal with.

Comment

Working...
          X