Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter pump keeps on cavitating/losing prime

Hey guys and gals,
    I just bought a Velo 2 square meter erosion (closed dosing tank) filter and I am having some serious problems with the pump losing its prime. It will filter the first 10 bbls just fine through our 1" racking arm, but then, after there isn't much weight on the outgoing beer, it cavitates and all flow stops. I then throw it into recirc. I have tried slowing it down a lot but that doesn't work. So I figured it must be the fact that I am feeding through the 1" racking arm, so I tried just filtering out of the bottom of the tank (it's a BBT that has had the beer fined into it.) and that's a 1.5" port, and that didn't work either. Tried putting 17 psi on it. Same thing. Luckily, I can get it to run for about 30-60 seconds at a time before it loses the prime, but then it takes about 30 min. to filter the last 5 bbls. I am anything but a filter wiz so I am hoping one of you kind souls can guide me to a the promised land. Any help is much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Erway
    La Cumbre Brewing Co.

I had that problem when I started here and putting pressure on the head space fixed it for me. It seemed like my problem was that the beer was partially carbonated going into the filter and just needed enough pressure to keep the CO2 from breaking out of solution in the pump. Not sure why that didn't work for you though - I usually keep the pressure on top during the entire filter run but I don't see why that would make any difference at all.
    My only other thought would be that maybe the beer thats been at the top of the bbt is a bit warmer for some reason?

Manuel
    Nexus Brewery
    Manuel

Comment

Working...
    X