Water supply chlorine chloromide removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water supply chlorine chloromide removal

Just about to start brewing in Wales UK 50hl.
    My question is regarding the water supply as we are using water from the mains supply.
    How to remove chlorine .
    1) do I use sodium metabisulphate and if so how much to a hl.
    2) raise the HLT to boiling(lots of wasted steam)
    3) leave HLT full for a period of time say 24 hours.
    Your view would be most welcome as first brew 05/01/05

Quickest and easiest way is, I think, to plug an activated carbon filter into your water stream into the brewhouse... these should be available off-the-shelf and you'll find some way to fit it into the water line. You can see how this goes, and do something better later if necessary... I'd say this would be good enough for first brew.

Comment

hi,

yep, get a carbon filter on your water supply. you should really have a particle filter in-line prior to the carbon as well. just give your local Pall or Cuno (just to name a couple) filtration people a call with your required flowrate and they should have some filters available on fairly short notice.

cheers,

alex

Comment

Carbon filter all the water that touches your brewing process.

Two ways to do this. If you're on a shoestring budget, grab a swimming pool filter, and fill it with activated carbon instead of filter sand. Your size brewery would need 2 or 3.

Second is to call Pall, Cuno, or Culligan (Vivendi), or local water treatment company, and set up a carbon filter unit, preferably with an automatic backflush which keeps the carbon from compacting and filling up with dirt and fines and losing its ability to absorb unwanteds properly.

I have a water softener shell filled with 50kg of activated carbon that feeds a reverse osmosis system. Automatic backflush, and a filter before the RO unit. This feeds a 20 bbl system @ 1/brew/day.

Your carbon will last longer with a depth filter before the carbon filters.

Help yourself out, and have the approximate levels of free chlorine in your water supply, and the amount of flow (gallons/liters per day) you are going to have during a peak days brewing cycle. This will help you get communicate what you need from the company you choose.

You can check with your local municipal water treatment facility to get your water chemistry, Chlorine levels to know your water source. After all your product is 94% water! It is the most important ingredient in your product!

One last thing, all this is fine....but after its installed, taste your brewing water everyday to make sure there are no off flavors or anything (steam leak in hot liquor tank) that would prevent you from brewing.

b

PS: Cheers & Good Luck!

Comment

re chlorine

I will look into the carbon filter.
          Thanks for your input folks much appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X