Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of a contract brewer

Alright, I ADMIT I'm confused.

I'm looking for someone to brew my recipe for me.

Does that ME the Contract BREWER?? Is the company who makes the beer a Contract Brewery?

I've been surfing the web for a list of brewers willing to brew my beer, but MOST of the "lists" just state CONTRACT BREWER. So I contacted three "potential" manufactures to find out that "they" use another company to brew their bee (I at least got the name of the brewer/brewery). AND, of course , posting here helps.

So I need some clarity about who is who in this industry!!!

ALSO, is there a list of brewers who brew for other brewers?

It can get confusing. Generally speaking and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong a contract brewery is one that you go to them with your recipe and process and have them brew for you. You give them instructions, they sell you back your packaged product. You job is to then market and sell your beer. You are the customer here and not the brewer.

This may be confused with an alternating proprietorship in which you are the one brewing and running the equipment. In this case 2 or more companies use the same location and equipment, but otherwise operate as two separate entities.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbobsnow
      Alright, I ADMIT I'm confused.

I'm looking for someone to brew my recipe for me.

Does that ME the Contract BREWER?? Is the company who makes the beer a Contract Brewery?
      The term "Contract Brewery" unfortunately refers to both parties. Here's the Brewers Association definition, for example:

Contract Brewing Company: A business that hires another brewery to produce its beer. It can also be a brewery that hires another brewery to produce additional beer.

Contractor/Contractee Brewery never caught on.

Searching for "contract brewing" will actually turn up more examples, including the websites of two old-line breweries that do a large contract business, The Lion and NAB/Genesee.

Originally posted by bigbobsnow

ALSO, is there a list of brewers who brew for other brewers?
      The Brewers Association can probably supply you with a list of the many other breweries that specialize in brewing for other companies.
      Last edited by jesskidden; 06-29-2012, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks

Now I know I'm sane again!!

Thanks for the definition and the links!!!

Comment

Working...
        X