Spent grain rake/hoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent grain rake/hoe

I am having a heck of a time trying to find online a spent grain rake/hoe to manually rake out the residual spent grain from the mash tun.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Danke!

GW Kent has a food grade hoe for $100. I got mine at Home Depot for $8. It's not food grade but I bet it works just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BanjoPicker
      GW Kent has a food grade hoe for $100. I got mine at Home Depot for $8. It's not food grade but I bet it works just as well.
      Got it! Thanks Banjo Pickin' man!

Comment

I know a lot of brewers who buy a regular metal hoe and bolt a plastic cutting board on the end to make it bigger and less scratchy. Also, look for those GW kent hoes/paddles etc. elsewhere. I think I paid a good $30 less than their price for the same mash paddle and had my choice of color. The company that makes them is Remco.
        Beejay
        Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

Plastic shovel from home depot and a composite boat oar. since its for grain out it doesn't really need to be food grade. total cost for the two=$30
          Scott LaFollette
          Fifty West Brewing Company
          Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by beejay
            I know a lot of brewers who buy a regular metal hoe and bolt a plastic cutting board on the end to make it bigger and less scratchy. Also, look for those GW kent hoes/paddles etc. elsewhere. I think I paid a good $30 less than their price for the same mash paddle and had my choice of color. The company that makes them is Remco.
            Yes, I've since found it at Grainger for half the price of GWKent. I'll have a stroll thru Home Depot too to see what I can cobble together too. Thanks gents.

Comment

Yeeeup. Hoe from hardware store + sturdy plastic cutting board + bolts, washers, nuts = penny conscious mash rake.
              Russell Everett
              Co-Founder / Head Brewer
              Bainbridge Island Brewing
              Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

1" thick UHMW plastic sheet from McMaster (cutting board equivalent)
                3/4" copper pipe flange
                6' of 3/4" copper pipe
                stainless bolts and nuts

about $13

has lasted almost 8 years
                Linus Hall
                Yazoo Brewing
                Nashville, TN
                www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Working...
                X