The dollar waiting on the dime.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dollar waiting on the dime.

We finally opened this past June with much local fan-fair. The only item out of place was our tap handles. I have a very simple straight forward design in mind but I've had nothing but trouble trying to get someone to make it. Now, on the verge of beginning distribution, we are still using temporary handles in our tap room and it's looking more and more like I'll have to either compromise my standards (which I'm loath to do) or pay through the nose.

Is there anyone providing a cost effective solution that has artists that can do a little more than draw circles and squares on a stick?

Thanks,

Jeff

Originally posted by Selkirk
    We finally opened this past June with much local fan-fair. The only item out of place was our tap handles. I have a very simple straight forward design in mind but I've had nothing but trouble trying to get someone to make it. Now, on the verge of beginning distribution, we are still using temporary handles in our tap room and it's looking more and more like I'll have to either compromise my standards (which I'm loath to do) or pay through the nose.

Is there anyone providing a cost effective solution that has artists that can do a little more than draw circles and squares on a stick?

Thanks,

Jeff
    When we started distributing in earnest, I bought a wood lathe and spend many an winter's night turning tap handles. Got the cost per handle down from around $22 to about $6. Not a solution for everyone but I found wood turning to be quite enjoyable.
    Prost!
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

The trick is to take your vision and turn it into something that can be mass-produced. It can be simple and visually unique and still not cost an arm and a leg. Use stickers instead of engraving. Use parts that are affordable and available and put them together in a unique way. Test out several designs in the beginning before you commit to one big run. I was surprised at how many places had height restrictions on tap handles, and how many we had to cut down 4" to make work. And remember, the cooler the tap handle the more it will be stolen. You will come in on a Monday to that account, and they will say "man, no one knows what happened. Can you get us another?"
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Working...
      X