Velo Plate Filter usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velo Plate Filter usage

Im looking for a users manual of a Velo plate filter. Just some general info on how they work inside the chambers. We use one here and its just passed down knowledge from past brewers on how to set them up. Also if anyone knows flow patterns flow rate, beer loss, can you over tighten the plates, etc.

Thanks-

I would call Scott. They sell them and are generally pretty helpful. I have a flowchart they sent me I will get to you. I have not used it very long so I dont have great tips but I believe (please someone correct me if Im wrong) you need to get the pads wet and saturated with sani before you crank them down really tight or you can damage the pads. Depending on the type of plates you can warp them if you go too high on the temp but I dont have the max temp. We use PAA. On ours the first pad (on the inlet side) has the rough side facing the incoming flow. Then the pads alternate their orientation. Even number of plates required and that gives an odd number of pads. I was told by the tech at Scott that an improperly oriented pad will simply reduce your throughput but not adversely effect clarity. As for over tightening I would tend to think no. Bigger filters are tightened hydraulically. We use a long piece of pipe for more leverage and to get leaking down to a minimum.
    I would also like to hear any tips from anyone more experienced on these. They are pretty straight forward but Im sure there are some tricks. Im especially curious about optimum pressures and differentials across the filter. Also please correct me if I am wrong on anything.

Comment

Thanks Matt,

I will give them a call and get some more details. We have had a few rough filters, I'm new there and trying to find out as much as I can. I also contacted the company in Italy and am trying to get a manual.

Comment

filter manual

I might have a copy for you also, shoot me a call or email.

The manuals always seem a bit vague and there is some subtle things to know but is pretty straightfoward.

Always glad to help.

Jim Russell

Comment

Velo filter manual

Originally posted by Jim Russell View Post
          I might have a copy for you also, shoot me a call or email.

The manuals always seem a bit vague and there is some subtle things to know but is pretty straightfoward.

Always glad to help.

Jim Russell
          We just bought a used VELO plate filter and really need a manual for it. Do you where I can find one?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoreBrewer View Post
            We just bought a used VELO plate filter and really need a manual for it. Do you where I can find one?
            Feel free to direct message me, but just to let you know if this is the used filter with the odd sized pads ( 32 mm ) from Velo thats a tough one. I have never seen that type of filter before.

I would always recommend people stay with standard sizing for any equipment , be it filtration or otherwise and be wary of proprietary or odd sized consumable items.

Pad filters have been around for a long time anything other than 40x40, 60x60 for the smaller sizes are just that... odd.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X