• Distributors Cut

$100.OO RETAIL

$70.00 MY SELL PRICE
    $ 4.11 STATE TAX I PAY
    $ 8.00 FREIGHT ONE WAY.

KEG SOLD TO DISTRIBUTOR $57.89

This doesnt seem to be the deal I wanted. What is your opinion

Thanks Brian

Per 1/2 bbl, 20 l, 750 ml bottle? What volume are you talking about? What market are you in? Need more info.

Comment

I thought you could self-distribute in VT with a wholesaler's license...
      The latest legal and legislative information, provided by the Brewer Association. Available by state or as a full report.

To be honest, your numbers are consistent with the distributor model as I have seen it in 3-tier states, which is why I'm trying to avoid that route if at all possible.
      Kevin Shertz
      Chester River Brewing Company
      Chestertown, MD

Comment

You should not be paying freight. Most pricing is FOB brewery and kegs should also returned on distributor's dime.

Comment

Brian,

Check out the wholesaler's license. I know several who have them. Call Steve at Drop-In or Sean.

It's a $1K license, but it only takes about 30 kegs sold through your current distro deal to justify it.

Steve
          14SBC

Comment

distributor

I/ we have a whosale license. This works well local. Butt… I would like to move out father…. I want to pay 25 to 30 % with freight include one way. I ran a much larger business before this and feel I am being shafted. Are these the correct numbers~!~!~~~

Comment

What package are you retailing for $100? If it's a half barrel you need to raise your prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Bierkoenig
                What package are you retailing for $100? If it's a half barrel you need to raise your prices.
                I'm guessing 1/6.... 1/4 at worst.
                Kevin Shertz
                Chester River Brewing Company
                Chestertown, MD

Comment

Worst case scenario, raise your prices to what you need.

$100 for a 1/6 bbl is out of this world. Charge that much and you won't have to worry about sales, because they will be non-existent unless you make amazing, highly sought-after beer.

Comment

I just used $100 for easy math to show the percentage. Most of the 5% beers retail here for $137 FOR 15.5 AND A 5 1/16 IS 42% OF A 15.5 PRICE.
                    so it would be $58.00

Comment

$100 for a 1/6 is not unusual although it would have to be a big beer or limited release. barrel aged beers routinely wholesale for $200 for a 1/6 and one of my accounts told me he recently paid $325 for a barrel aged 1/6.

We self-distribute and do 1/6 only. Our prices for a 1/6 range from $50 - $80 and our accounts think they are getting a bargain.
                      Tim Eichinger
                      Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

Thanks Tim. everything we sell is 6% and below so i will be in the 137 range. When you say you self distribute, how many miles away is your furthest customer. I am remote and my radius only goes south. Canada is 2 miles north of me. 20 taps local with in 60 miles.

Comment

Vermont...

All distributors tend to take a 30% margin.
                          In Vermont, it would look more like this:

Excise Tax is paid by the Distributor, not by you, the brewer (unless you sell growlers at your brewery, then you have to pay the excise tax).

6% abv or less, in VT, is $.265 a gallon. Thus, 1.33$ in taxes. Not 4.11$.
                          Ross Express can ship a pallet anywhere in New England for 80$.
                          You can fit 40 x 5 gallon kegs on a pallet. That's 2$ per keg, freight cost, each way, not 8$.

A brewery can hold a wholesaler's license in Vermont. Annual Cost is 1,000$ per year. Year runs May 1 through April 30.

If you sold a 5 gallon keg to a distributor at 60$, it would look like this:
                          60$/.7 (30% margin)= 85.71$
                          Then, 1.33$ in tax, and 4$ or so in freight. You would be right around 90$ to a bar for a 5 gallon keg.

Why don't you purchase the wholesaler license and distribute it yourself if all of your accounts are within 60 miles?

Comment

Working...
                          X