Information for beer graphic artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information for beer graphic artist

I am seeking a beer art/graphic designer. Someone who can put together some labels and a logo.

I'm a graphic designer who has done all the design for the brewery my husband and I are opening, Desert Mountain Brewing. If you'd like to see my stuff and talk rates, please send me an email at brewer@desertmountainbrewing.com.
    - Kelley
    Shawn
    Desert Mountain Brewing & Draughthaus
    (406) 250-6454

Comment

graphic artist

The local folks here did a great job for us. Flying fish t-shirt company.
      Kill devil hills n.c....855-480-3906.

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I received several messages to try 99designs.com.

I am giving them a try. I like the idea that I can get several different designers to submit designs.

Comment

Originally posted by gbrewing
          Thank you for the responses. I received several messages to try 99designs.com.

I am giving them a try. I like the idea that I can get several different designers to submit designs.
          So you like the idea of exploiting designers and expect 99% of them to work for free?

It's not the same, but would you produce beer for someone, knowing that if he doesn't take your beer no one else will take it and you can throw it away? (Ok, you could drink your beer by yourself, but design doesn't work that way)

Examples from attached video work better (would you ask 10 chefs to make you dinner and then pick just one, or ask 100 lawyers to write your will and then pay just one).

Here is short and interesting video about spec work and why you shouldn't support it:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsstOs-K7gk

Igor
          graphic designer

Comment

Video

I just watched the video and have to say that I disagree completely.

This is a simple matter of designers turning down or not participating in the contests or spec work. (if you dont want to work for free, then dont).

it seems more unfair to ask other businesses to ignore the possibility of a great low cost design, if designers are actively participating in these contests.
            Also, your analogy doesnt work. if you went to a restaurant or law office, they would laugh you out of the building if you asked them to do that.

if the designers stop participating, this would stop immediately, but this isnt the question of the consumer cheating the designer, its more a question of some designers not believing its a problem.
            www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

I can see your concern as you are a designer. As a customer, this was a win win for me. I was able to see different ideas and select the one which was closest to the concept I was seeking.

Seeing different concepts was much easier than seeing the concept of a single designer. In a previous career, I was faced with dealing with a single designer. I felt stuck with what he was presenting and he seemed stuck within his own concepts. Perhaps it was the designer, perhaps it was the process?

I have now selected a design and designer. Despite the other designers not being awarded the work (money), I have established a relationship with the designer I selected. This will provide him with a one on one working relationship with me. He will now receive extra work to design bottles, posters, etc which will not run through the "contest" and most likely be billed at regular designer fee's.

I could not be happier.

Comment

I used 48hourslogo.com and got an awsome logo for $100. Freelance graphic artists submit ideas and you rate them and recommend changes. No exploitation here. If the artists don't want to participate, they don't have to.

So glad I didn't hire a graphics agency. Would have cost me a ton and I have a small brewpub in SE Minnesota. Best money I ever spent.

Comment

Graphic Design work

My current "day job" is headhunting graphic designers for the likes of Nike and adidas and some of my designers have done work for many of the breweries here in Portland, most of them understand the TTB/COLA guidlines as well. What I would reccomend for people looking for a logo/brand or design work is to ask to see a portfolio (PDF or Website) rather then do a "contest." I would be happy to help anyone out finding a great designer and even share portfolios if you are in the market for branding, rebranding, a logo or labels.

Jarrett
                  360-431-8411
                  Jarrett Skreen
                  Ashtown Brewing Co.
                  360-431-8411
                  ashtownbrewing@gmail.com

Comment

designers

Sorry if I'm bring up an old thread but, this is no different that putting out a job offer and selecting the best candidate. Or offering a contract to the person who best meets your business need by making them bid for it. This a fairly common business practice and to say it is unfair or exploits someone is being narrow minded. Making someone go with a single option instead of seaching out the best is poor business. And it's not exploitation it gives the designer if nothing else something to put in a portfolio and on a resume.
                    Sleiche!
                    Bill
                    Busted knuckles Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy View Post
                      So you like the idea of exploiting designers and expect 99% of them to work for free?

I used to be heavy in the game of graphic/web design & web development and I've got tons of experience (over 10 years, actually). Trust me when I say I felt the same years ago. So, I see where he's coming from because I've been there. I've poured countless hours into countless designs. However, the OP and other posters have a point. The designers aren't forced to participate in crowd sourcing and do so by choice only. S
                      So from a brewer/owner standpoint, I can see the advantage of getting quality graphic design at a cheaper price... Not to mention the fact you get to CHOOSE the design you like and work with the designer who conveys your intended style the best. Sure, it's disheartening for a designer to work for "free", but that's the name of the game; if your work isn't what the client wants, then that's that. If you're good at what you do, and can take the information that the prospective client gives and make an awesome design out of it, then you're rewarded for your efforts. You probably just tripled or even quadrupled the initial revenue the client is paying simply because they like your work. I know this because I've been there and done it.

My two cents.

-Mike
                      Mike Slone
                      Co-Founder, Head Brewer
                      23 Brewing Company
                      Instagram: @23brewingco - Facebook.com/23BrewingCompany

"Beer is the drink of men who think, who feel no fear nor fetter. Who do not drink to senseless sink, but drink to think the better" - Anonymous

Comment

As a (kinda former) graphic designer of over 20 years I can say randomly picking a logo out of 99 designs is not necessarily picking out a "quality" logo. First off, and I mean no offense by this, but most people don't know good design if if came up and bit them right in the ass. Do you go to the dentist and tell him how to drill your teeth? No? Do you let your Bud Light drinking Uncle Fred pick out the beer list for your beer dinner? No? Do you neuter your own pets? NO??? So why on earth do you think you have the ability to really pick out good design? You think "Ooooh, I like that" without giving thought to wether it is feminine or masculine or if it can be read small or in black and white, or if it will swap well between color and B&W, or whether it will work with embroidery or even if it can work well and be readable on swag. hell, you probably don't really even know what it means to brand something. You say, "oooh, I like that" and think that's all there is to design.

And of course, all graphic designers want to work for free, cause they can put it in their portfolio, right? Unfortunately, putting a design in your portfolio does not pay the light bill. You don't expect the electrician to work for free, or the guys who print your shirts or labels or stickers, so why do you expect design for free? (or nearly free?) .... hell, I guess everyone wants a free beer. But beside the point. ... if you want something that will be true quality and that will brand you well for years to come and someone you can work with on a regular basis you need to hire a good graphic designer.

Maybe you can get lucky on the roulette wheel and pick one that you like and that actually works, but someone local, someone recommended by another business owner and some one with some real experience is unbeatable.

Comment

Philly Logo Guy

Just had our done by Dan McKillip along with our labels. Dan is great!!! His email - danmckillip@aol.com. Tell him I sent you!
                          Cheers,
                          Cory McDonald

Comment

Working...
                          X