Old school brew house cleaning chemicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school brew house cleaning chemicals

We are opening a brewery in Latin America and were wondering what basic chemicals were used in the past for caustic, acid wash and sterilization?

We don't have access to modern brewery-specific chemicals and want some advice on selecting basic alternatives that might be available locally.

Thank you,

Gregory

You will be surprised to learn what is available to you as modern cleaners. Companies like Diversey and Ecolab and a few others are global. Take a close look around at what soft drink companies, dairies, food processors, egg & meat processors, pharmaceutical, and even municipal water treatment are using for chemicals. You will likely find what you're looking for. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

With brewers like Grupo Modelo and FEMSA in the region, I would expect most brewery-specific chemicals to be available locally, as Phillip advises.

Basic chemicals are:

Caustic: ~2% NaOH solution. Cheaper to buy in bulk at 30-40% and break down to RFU strength on site;

Acid: Usually phosphoric-based, I seem to recall from my lab days ~1%

Sterilisation: Steam works well, as does chlorine dioxide.

Comment

Thanks. I am in contact with Ecolab and they are coming soon to give us a quote.

Comment

Originally posted by KWLSD
          With brewers like Grupo Modelo and FEMSA in the region, I would expect most brewery-specific chemicals to be available locally, as Phillip advises.

Basic chemicals are:

Caustic: ~2% NaOH solution. Cheaper to buy in bulk at 30-40% and break down to RFU strength on site;

Acid: Usually phosphoric-based, I seem to recall from my lab days ~1%

Sterilisation: Steam works well, as does chlorine dioxide.
          Peracetic Acid works well for sanitizing tanks/hoses/etc. Pretty easy to find.

Comment

Working...
          X