Biofine in fermenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofine in fermenter

I'm looking to make my filter runs a little bit easier using biofine clear (a3)directly in the fermenter rather than dosing it in while transferring the beer. Currently I'm filtering 60BBL through a 40 sheet plate and frame filter and it sometimes takes 8+ hours. Does anybody have any tips for dosing biofine in the fermenter,?
    I know mixing well is crucial to avoid getting the so called "fluffy bottom". I was thinking of dumping all the yeast i can really well the recirculating from the bottom dump and through the racking port while slowly dosing in the biofine.

After we pull the yeast out of the unitank we recirculate coming out of the bottom and back in through the racking arm. We point the racking arm to about a 45 degree angle to get a little whirlpool action. We do that for about a 1/2 hour and inject finings inline during that time. In a week our 30 bbl tank drops out clear enough to filter 30 bbls in about 3 to 4 hours with a 24 plate 40cm filter. On a good we do not need to backflush. 8 hours doesn't seem to bad but with 40 plates it seems like you could better.

Comment

I had lots of issues, especially with IPAs and IIPAs, filtering them through our 40x40. I began adding Biofine to the FV prior to filtration and it has significantly helped my filter runs. I have experimented with different amounts of Biofine and different quantities of plates. Currently for our dry-hopped beers I am using 34 plates in the larger micron section and 10 plates in the smaller micron section. I chill an FV, 2 days later dump off as much hops/yeast as I can and then pour in Biofine through my dry-hopping port on the top. Then I run a recirc off an upper valve (near the manway) back in through the cone for 20-30 minutes. I have used 1.5L Biofine for our IPA and 1.75L Biofine for our IIPA (larger amount of hops for the dry-hop). I just filtered a 30 bbl batch of our IPA last week in less than 2 hours. Hope any of this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X