Serve out of fermenter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serve out of fermenter?

Hi, I'm building a brewery that is tight on space. Is it possible to carb in a fermenter like a brite and then also serve from it? I'm thinking of buying a few of these:

Thanks,
    John

I ask mostly because the pressure ratings are the same for their ferms and brites.

Comment

we are a packaging brewery, but before we had brites we did something similar. We would just juggle our fermentors so we could transfer off the yeast/hops. I imagine you could do it in one tank, but with things like dry hopping it really pays to rack the beer. We would just keep one tank open and move everything over one tank.
      Beejay
      Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

Thanks! I should have said I'm a small brewpub. Almost no offsite sales. Great point about dry hopping. Maybe dry hop in a container that I could pull out?

Thanks again!

Comment

You can do it but you must realize you are tying that tank up until its empty and then you have at least another two weeks to get another batch ready in that tank. Better to buy at least one brite tank and transfer over. Then you can serve ut of it or keg off and free it up.

Comment

Its really going to tie up your fermenter until that beer is done. I think it would be best to do kegs or a serving tank so you can keep production moving along and not tie up your fermenter.

Comment

What will you do about properly aging the beer (at least for a few weeks) prior to dispense???
              Beer that I've tasted at brewpubs where the process is rushed and the beer turned around a week or less after brewing has every single time given me some solid examples of really lousy beer. A few of the many places I've dropped in on over the years have even bragged about managing to brew on Sunday and be serving that beer the following weekend. The results sure reflected it and definitely not in any positive way; it usually tasted like the kind of beer made by impatient novice homebrewers.

You really need to get it out of the fermentor into something... if for no other reason but so you can get cracking on the next batch, as others have suggested. But ideally your operation and schedule should also be set up so you won't be selling 'green' beer...unless of course you want a lot of 'one-time' customers.

Simply put, a three or four day ferment followed by filtering on the fifth day and serving to customers on the sixth day is just not a formula for good beer.

Comment

Just for the sake of discussion, have you considered the tax complications and how the TTB will react to this idea?
                Little Deep Brewing Company
                Minot, North Dakota
                www.littledeepbrewing.com

Comment

Can you have two levels of tanks? Put the fermentors above your serving tanks and then you can rely on mostly gravity to transfer.

Comment

Working...
                  X