Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you call a lead brewer that refuses to scrub a floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you call a lead brewer that refuses to scrub a floor?

Hello all,

We've recently had a brewer promoted to lead at our brewery and now he refuses to scrub a single floor or wash a parts bucket. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by BrewHilo87
    What do you call a lead brewer that refuses to scrub a floor?
    Fired.

Comment

A bad example and a management nightmare.

Head brewer must lead by example. I've heard of several head brewers that expect more out of everyone but themselves; there are constantly job openings at their breweries.

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

He should lead by example. So make an example out of him and fire his azz.

Comment

What?? No punchline. I thought this was a joke thread!

Seriously though, any good boss leads by example. If you keep him in a management spot you will have issues, as the rest of your brewery staff will most likely not respect him or his orders.

Comment

He felt doing floors was beneath him.

Comment

Funny, LD!

I remember visiting Rogue in Newport, Oregon and seeing John Mayer dragging brewing hose through the brewery. "Everybody works", he said.

Comment

Although 'Fired' was my first thought, I guess it depends whether he refuses to do it or if he is delegating the responsibilities. A lead or head brewer should be managing the bigger picture and should have the people he's managing take care of the day to day ops. Doesn't mean he shouldn't jump in and do whats needed, but he also shouldn't be doing the menial tasks when there is the big picture items that need to get done.

As I tell everyone that works or has worked for me if they make a face when I'm telling them to do a particularly unglamorous duty in the brewery, "Yes it sucks but not anything I haven't done in the past and won't do again in the future." You need to lead by example, but the fact that he was promoted probably means that he was doing a very good job of doing all the tasks of a brewer prior to the promotion.

To summarize:

Refuse b/c its beneath him - FIRED
                Delegating b/c he's doing big picture items - Managing

Cheers,
                Dave
                David Schlosser
                Brewmaster / Founder
                Naked Dove Brewing Company
                Canandaigua, NY

Comment

With experience in German Breweries the head brewer/Braumeister job is to manage the brewery make sure everyone is doing what they are suposed to do. With that said as long as the floor is getting scrubed it shouldn't matter if he tells some one else to do it.

Comment

Some managers fail to manage.They can't manage because they are too busy doing everyone else's job. So the "manager" walks around with an overflowing work bucket while subordinates sit on their asses with partially filled work buckets. He/she might like to think that they are leading by example but, in reality, work is not getting done because they are unable to delegate.

Could it be that this recently promoted individual has gotten it right from the start? And could it be that the complainer is someone whose work bucket now holds a decent day's work?

Comment

Originally posted by BrewHilo87
                      Hello all,

We've recently had a brewer promoted to lead at our brewery and now he refuses to scrub a single floor or wash a parts bucket. Any thoughts?

My first thought is "prima donna". Could be this individual does not understand his full job description (having those things written down untangles many confusing days!) or others in the brewery do not understand his full job description.

Having said that: I am the founder, president, board member, head brewer, packaging lead, head cellar, toilet scrubber, floor sweeper, tasting room worker, compliance officer, web designer, graphic designer, social media lead, forklift mechanic, QA/QC lead, and official beer taster of my brewery.
                      You HAVE GOT to be willing to do whatever is necessary to make your brewery tick.

...my two cents

Prost!
                      Dave
                      Glacier Brewing Company
                      406-883-2595
                      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Doyle
                        He felt doing floors was beneath him.
                        Ha...nice one

Comment

I never ask anyone to do anything I am not prepared to do myself.

Is he using his floor scrubbing time to polish the kettle? Ok.

Is the floor still dirty? Not ok.

Show him this thread, and see what he says.

Nat

Comment

Originally posted by Beer_Nut
                            Ha...nice one
                            He should be 'pun'ished for that one.

Pax.

Liam
                            Liam McKenna
                            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Hey, I resemble that!

Comment