New York grown hops malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York grown hops malt

Does anyone know of a supplier or a company that sells NY grown products? I am looking at a Farmers Brewery Licence in the state of NY. We are planning to grow hops but without other NY products we will not be able to meet their requirements.

"In order to receive a Farm Brewery license, the beer must be made primarily from locally grown farm products. Until the end of 2018, at least 20% of the hops and 20% of all other ingredients must be grown or produced in New York State. From January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2023, no less than 60% of the hops and 60% of all other ingredients must be grown or produced in New York State. After January 1, 2024, no less than 90% of the hops and 90% of all other ingredients must be grown or produced in New York State."

Paul
    Paradox Brewery
    Schroon Lake, NY

Check with Valley Malt. They're out of western mass. but they do malt some NY grown barley as part of their product catalog.
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I know that there are couple small malt houses in various stages of planning in NY right now. I understand one is further along than the others. Valley Malt may be able to help, but the freight will be higher than something more local. I visited VM last summer. Nice operation. Small but growing. For more on malthouse info call Steve Miller at Cornell Cooperative extension. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks,
        I called Valley Malt and they were very helpful and can meet my requirements. Now I have to look for hops. Paul

Comment

Your best bets for hops will be out in western NY by the Finger Lakes. Try the Cornell Cooperative and/or the Northeast Hop Alliance. They can probably get you a list of farmers out there.
          Hutch Kugeman
          Head Brewer
          Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
          Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I'd be wary of doing the Farm Brewers License. Benefits aren't all that huge compared to a regular license and it really constrains your ability to do a wide variety of different styles. Overall cost of malt right now from a micro malter vs. other is also a big hurdle. Get a regular license and then brew with NYS ingredients whenever you can / want. Gives WAY more flexibility that way.

Cheers,
            Dave
            David Schlosser
            Brewmaster / Founder
            Naked Dove Brewing Company
            Canandaigua, NY

Comment

F. X. Matt (which was still using New York State hops into the 1950's) has used hops from the Wrobel Farms, outside of Utica, in Bridgewater, NY for some of their Saranac beers in recent years.

See Saranac Hop Harvest story at their website.

That hop farm was once a major NY hop grower, for a time owned by Brooklyn's Edelbrew Brewing Co. (See Post-Repeal New York State Hops page for more historic info).
              Last edited by jesskidden; 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

NYS Hops

Bluebell Hop Yard in Victor and Pedersen Farms in Seneca Castle/Canandaigua.

Comment

Working...
                X