llalemand Belle Saison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• llalemand Belle Saison

Anybody tried this out yet, or know which brewery it came from? I currently use WLP 566, hoping this could be a suitable replacement.

Thanks, Rich DeLano
    undercoveraleworksrich@gmail.com

I've been trying to source a 500gm packet, but nobody seems to have it available.

Comment

I'm bumping this thread...BUMP.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Seriously...anyone?
      I'd like to but I'm cheap and would rather hear second hand.

Comment

i was somehow sent a 500g sample but emailed Lallemand asking for some 20g packets so we could test them out before we try the big pitch..

No reply.
        Good luck!

jason

Comment

Belle Saison

I have tried this yeast. Normally used a blend between Wyeast french and belgian. Always found that it fermented really fast in the early stages and then went super slow. (2 weeks to complete) This does not not economical sense and opens you to spoilage risks.
          The belle saison on the other hand fermented really fast (1.043 down to 1.003 within 48 hrs) I have taken the approach to rather pitch a bit cooler next time as we pitched at 23 D Celsius and it reached 32 D Celsius. Not a problem but i want it to follow a more gradual curve. We still experimenting to find the best conditions (pack indicated 100g/100L but this is pretty high) for this yeast with regards to temp, inoculation rate, nutrition/oxygen)

Any comments welcome.

Comment

Any sensory impressions of this yeast?

Comment

No personal experience but I saw that Williams Brewing did some tests with dry yeast, here is there notes for the Saison.

BELLE SAISION This new dry yeast from Lallemand proved to be a very authentic saision yeast, and fermented our 1.055 starting gravity saision wort down to an amazing 1.000. Flavor was very dry, peppery, with a touch of sourness; this is a very true to type saision yeast. We also fermented this wort with Wyeast 3711 French Saision as a control, and our tasters preferred this French Saision beer overall, as it had a milder and smoother character than the more extreme Belle Saision.

Comment

We just did 3 small test batches this weekend with this yeast (available from BSG Handcraft in 11g sachets) I will follow up with tasting notes, etc. when beers are complete as well as our take on the comparison to the French Saison strain.
                Luch Scremin
                Engine 15 Brewing Co.
                luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

Ok, update.

We brewed a couple different beers with this, we used our standard recipes and used this yeast instead of our standard. The taste panel feedback and the casual "hey what do you think of this saison" type tasting were surprisingly similar. The word used by two of the other brewers here was "flat" to describe the flavor profile of the beer. It seemed to have a subdued flavor as compared to BSI S-11. On a technical note the yeast floculated highly as compared to S-11 which doesn't floc at all. While there was nothing "wrong" with the beer it just seemed less flavorful overall as compared to S-11.

Hope this helps a bit.
                  Luch Scremin
                  Engine 15 Brewing Co.
                  luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

bump

Anyone else tried this yeast lately?
                    Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TJC View Post
                      Anyone else tried this yeast lately?
                      Thoughts?
                      I ordered a pack a few weeks ago to try out to against my WY3711, as I was getting sick of building up starters every few generations and ordering from BSI wasn't economical at our scale. I like it, it fermented fast, and has good yeast character. I took a page out of the WB-06 playbook and underpitched, did not oxygenate the wort at all, and fermented fairly warm in an attempt to stress the yeast and get a bit more ester/phenol production.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Bob View Post
                        I'm bumping this thread...BUMP.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Seriously...anyone?
                        I'd like to but I'm cheap and would rather hear second hand.
                        Hi Bob,
                        My name is Caroline Parnin and I am the new East Coast Rep for Lallemand Brewing Yeasts, and I am happy to answer whatever questions you may have about the Belle Saison. We self-distribute in the US which is why you have been unable to find it through distributors. Please send me an email with any questions you may have. Cparnin@lallemand.com
                        Cheers,
                        Caroline

Comment

we make a jalapeno saison that we've been making with WLP565 for a long time. The last batch we separated a portion and fermented with the belle saison yeast and honestly can't tell the difference. Maybe because the flavors of the peppers are taking over the yeast profile, but it is enough for us to make the switch and use the more affordable dry yeast saison.

Comment

We've been using this yeast for a blonde ale recipe, fermenting at around 73 - 75 degrees. Beer turns out great, nice flavour profile from the yeast, although been trying to figure out how to raise the final gravity to leave a bit more body. Tried adding more Carapils and cara20, mashing at high temperatures 161 degrees but this yeast seems to eat everything regardless.. Is there a trick to getting a higher final gravity with this yeast?

Comment

Is there a trick to getting a higher final gravity with this yeast?[/QUOTE]
                              Good question! Any yeast that totally rips through maltotriose is a monster. What are your pitch rates? Should already be well under ale rates with this yeast. You could lower them more and do a test on your nano. Compare flavor profiles, etc. Otherwise, it'd be more non-fermentables I suppose. We pitch at 75% and it still takes it down to nada.

Comment

Working...
                              X