Dry yeast rehydration/pitching techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry yeast rehydration/pitching techniques

For those out there that are using dry yeast in there breweries, what method are you using to rehydrate and pitch dry yeast? Do you just boil your rehydrating water in a small kettle, cool, mix in dry yeast with a sanitized spoon then dump into the fermenter through the man way? Any other techniques out there to rehydrate and utilize dry yeast in a sanitary manner?

thanks!

The best method I have found is taking the first running of wort after HX before entering FV. Add purified H20 to wort. After learning the system I shoot for 77 - 81°F mixture. Add dry yeast, let sit for 15 min then stir periodically for 10 - 20 minutes. Pitch through man-way.
    Keegan Malone
    Pinglehead Brewery

Comment

my method...

I pump 5 gallons of cooled wort into a sanitized conical, unaerated, pitch dry yeast and whisk with a sanitized whisk until the yeast is visibly hydrated (takes less than a minute). Close up the conical and let rest for 20 minutes. Knock out remaining wort and aerate as normal. I do this for my pilsner and do not repitch from it which may or may not affect your situation.
      Cheers
      Jay Stoyanoff
      Brewmaster
      Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
      Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

I wait until there is about 1bbl in the FV and pour it dry thru the PRV port. I don't oxygenate the first pitch as its not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeybrewer
          I pump 5 gallons of cooled wort into a sanitized conical, unaerated, pitch dry yeast and whisk with a sanitized whisk until the yeast is visibly hydrated (takes less than a minute). Close up the conical and let rest for 20 minutes. Knock out remaining wort and aerate as normal. I do this for my pilsner and do not repitch from it which may or may not affect your situation.
          Cheers
          Are you using 34/70 or S189 for your pils?

Comment

yeast type

I currently use the Saflager 23 for my German style pilsner. Great fermentaion but it is definitely a pain to filter...even after 90 days of conditioning
            Cheers
            Jay Stoyanoff
            Brewmaster
            Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
            Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Our fermenters hold our hot liquor during sparge. We leave a little bit of hot liquor in the cone, turn on the glycol to cool it down, sprinkle in the yeast, and then bubble oxygen in from the bottom to stir it.

Those using wort to rehydrate: how is that different than not rehydrating at all?

Comment

wort = water

wort is more sterile water than anything else. If there were no mixing or rest along with using wort to rehydrate I would say there would be no difference
                cheers
                Jay Stoyanoff
                Brewmaster
                Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
                Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

I pump to my FV and sprinkle so5 directly on top of the cooled wort, no previous rehydration. When primary fermentation begins to slow (usually about 48-72 hours) I rack via gravity to a secondary vessel and pump fresh wort directly on to the previous slurry. This results in a voracious fermentation. I can get away with that through about three or four pitches before starting new yeast.

Comment

Working...
                  X