Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bohemian Breweries

hi all...
    I am wondering if anyone out there can tell me (or email me) the inches to BBL conversion for the kettle wort volume stick for a Bohemian MonoBloc 15 BBL system.
    Any info is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Pete
    (velez03@yahoo.com)

dipstick measures

Multiply 3.14 (pi) times the radius squared (in inches) times the height (in inches).

Divide this number by 231 (the number of cubic inches per gallon).

This gives the total number of gallons to whatever height you are working with.

Divide this number by 31 to get the number of barrels per inch.

VOLUME PER INCH IN BARRELS = (pi)(radius squared)(height)/(231 cubic inches per gallon)(31 gallons per barrel)

This equation works for any cylindrical vessel with straight/parallel sides and a flat bottom. (It can also work for cylindroconical vessels for volumes above the cone. For volumes within the cone, I believe that you would have to divide the above formula by 2...)

Geometry is a brewer's friend.

Have fun! John.
    Attached Files

Comment

In my experience with Bohemian (two systems), No two systems are alike. Many dimensions vary system to system, so the above post is probably the best bet for determining volume in your kettle.

Comment

Hey John, I hereby nominate your post for "post of the year"! Made me grin, and damn, it works!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Re: dipstick measures

For volumes within the cone, I believe that you would have to divide the above formula by 2...)

Geometry is a brewer's friend.

Have fun! John.
          Divide by 3 for a cone.

Volume of a cone = 1/3 Pi r squared x height

MoreBeer

Comment

a sphere of beer...

a sphere of beer, on the other hand... is equal to

(4/3)(pi)(radius cubed)...

- JOHN
            Attached Files

Comment

aw, y'all are showing off now...

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Dish This

How about the volume of a dish??? Thats a tricky one and thats how many vessles are constructed. You have rad. and depth but then theres the confounding "slope" to deal with. Ive always used my brewhouse flow meter to find the 1 bbl mark then marked from there.
                Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                "Your results may vary"

Comment

Do you really want to know ? I have got a copy of the calculation somewhere, but again, this is based on a specific profile, so may not suit your dish.

I have used a series of cylinders stacked on top of each other with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The shallower the slices of cylinder, the more accurate the calculation. Once you are into the vertical wall part of the vessel, you then replace the calculate dish volume with a measured dish volume, and then add the appropriate volume attributable to the cylindrical portion of the vessel.

Cheers
                  dick

Comment

volumes of a dish

more dipstick science...

a little more tricky indeed...

I knew that someone might ask about the volume of a dish...

I wasn't trying to show off before, but trying to be funny... I like the idea of a sphere of beer...

The volume of a dish is related to the volume of a sphere, in that the volume of a dish is basically just HALF of the volume of an ellipsoid, which in itself is just a squished sphere.

To reiterate, the volume of a sphere is:

(4/3)(pi)(radius cubed)

[Which is (more or less) just the volume of a circle in three dimensions...]

Now, imagine that the radius of this circle (in three dimensions) in one or two of the dimensions has been squished...

What we get is an ellipsoid composed of three different circles with three different radius measurements...

The formula for the volume of this ellipsoid looks much like that of a sphere:

(4/3)(pi)(a)(b)(c)

where a, b and c represent, in inches, the "radii" of the various circles composing the ellipsoid or squished sphere...

The formula yields the number of cubic inches in an ellipsoid.

To get the number of cubic inches in a dish we divide the above formula by two (2). Thus, the volume of a dish is equal to:

(4/3)(pi)(a)(b)(c)/2

To get the number of gallons in that dish, we divide the number we get from the above formula by 231 cubic inches per gallon. To get the number of barrels in that dish, we divide further the number of gallons by 31.

This is hard to grasp verbally. I will try to include an illustration. (Note: the last time I tried to include an illustration, I was informed that it was too big and thus lost my previous attempt at explanation, which seemed far more clear than the present one... too many blonde bocks methinks...)

The problem with all of these calculations is that it can be very hard to get an accurate measurement of the various "radii" composing our dishes. Given that most of us are "micro"brewers, our tanks are relatively small and it is probably easier to throw a bunch of five gallon buckets of water into our dishes to figure out their volumes and use as a rule of thumb for future reference...

As for my own mathematical prowess, I do not deserve accolades as these ideas have been around since the time of
                    Euclid and the Ancient Greeks (I believe). I am simply a beer and math geek trying to make his way back into an industry that thus far has been the love of his life...

The illustration that I will attempt to include, in the next post, has been stolen from:

"Schaum's Outlines: Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables" by McGraw-Hill Press, 1999

In service to my friends in the microbrewing industry,
                    Cheers!

- JOHN

Comment

ellipsoid illustration

as promised... the ellipsoid illustration.

just remember to divide by 2 to get dish volume in inches... divide further by 231 to get gallons... and divide further by 31 to get barrels...

geometry may be a brewer's friend, but like a woman it sometimes can appear to be infathomable...

thus, the satisfaction of the visual aid.

Cheers!

- JOHN
                      Attached Files

Comment

ellipsoid illustration failure

ellipsoid illustration...

my attempt to upload a comprehensible illustration into Probrewer.com did not work...

if you still wish to see this very helpful visualization, send me an e-mail and I'll send you the image... that works out real nice (I tried it)...

otherwise just imagine the "radii" in three different axes -
                        the vertical, the width at its longest, and the width at its shortest... these compose the "a," "b" and "c" of the previously mentioned formula.

Cheers!

Time for more blonde bock, or maybe some Grand Teton Brewing Company Workhorse Wheat!

- JOHN

Comment

third time's a charm

cropped and resized to 65%...

as promised...
                          Attached Files

Comment

measuring the volume of your dished bottom (the tank, I mean)

Here's a low tech way to get the volume of the dished bottom portion of the tank:

Stand by the opening with a 5 gallon bucket and a hose. Fill the bucket and dump into tank. Repeat until water level reaches straight section of wall and you're done.

Oh yeah, don't forget to count the number of buckets.

From an engineer with a bad memory for formulas...
                            Scott

Mmmmmm.... beer sphere.

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have a digital flowmeter with 1 1/2" T/C fittings. I attach to the outlet of a dish bottom vessel and fill to the weld where the straight side meets the dish. Easy, peasy and KISS!

Proost,
                              david
                              Cheers & I'm out!
                              David R. Pierce
                              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                              POB 343
                              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
                              X