Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should it take to filter 15BBL of beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should it take to filter 15BBL of beer?

Can anyone advise on how long it should take to filter 15BBL (1,800L) of beer? The Pal salesperson is advising that run times of 2-4 hours per batch can be achieved with 2 x 12" or 1 x 16" module. This seems a bit slow to me.

I plan to add some 30BBL (3,600L tanks) later and only want to purchase one filter housing.

On a good day how long should it take to filter 1,800L of beer which has dropped bright and has a decent floccing yeast?
    Regards,
    Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company
    http://kererubrewing.co.nz

There are too many variables here to answer this. To what degree would you like to filter, what kind of filter, and what are these "modules"? Are these a typical cylindrical water filter housing?
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I'm after what I'd call a rough polish - .5 micron nominal possibly using SUPRAdisc II 12" or 16" filter modules in a cylindrical housing which will hold up to 3 modules. I've also been quoted for a Premiere Stainless 40x40 plate filter which I'd likely use with similar graded filter plates. I have no idea what to expect from either of these units.

Some day in the dim future I'd like to filter for greater stability, but getting production off the ground is my first order of business.
      Regards,
      Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, .5 micron is far more than "rough polish". You can't get much below that. Maybe you meant 5 micron? I'd call that a rough polish.

You are talking about a lenticular filter, I assume. You should mention that in the future. That's what I'm talking about.

I filter drop-cleared cider through a 3 stack of 12" SupraDisc, 7 micron nominal. If I am hurrying, I can push through 10 bbls in a half-hour. But then I can't do subsequent batches without a 250 gallon high-powered backflush which takes a while to set up. Going slowly, I can only manage about 30 bbls before things slow down to a crawl and I fear for the longevity of the filters.
        Nat West

Comment

Thanks for the clarification on terms - yes - I am referring to a lenticular filter, I'd say that 5 micron sounds more like it. I'm sorry for the confusion caused earlier.

I'm curious how you are able to tell when things slow down. Is this shown by a climbing pressure differential, or are you able to observe the levels in your tanks?
          Regards,
          Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company

Comment

Yes, the pressure differential grows, so I slow down the pump (butterfly valve, no VFD), which keeps the pressure in check but slows the filtration. That is why I can do 10 bbls in a half hour but pay the price. I usually have a backlog of cider needing to get filtered so prefer the low and slow process. If you only have 15 bbls at a time, and it's relatively clear, you might do it in a half hour every time. Go for the triple 16 if you can. The difference between 12" and 16" isn't 33% like arithmetic. It's 77% like geometric, area of a circle sort of thing, although probably not quite that high due to how the modules are constructed.
            Nat West

Comment

Working...
            X