Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Kegs Under Pressure - Anyone do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Kegs Under Pressure - Anyone do it?

I was just curious if anyone out there cleans their kegs under pressure, much like they would for their brite tanks? Acid cleaner, then acid sanitizer. My thoughts are that this could eliminate a small percentage (more) of DO in finished beer. My concern is this, it seems like we would be using more CO2 than if we were cleaning the kegs with caustic. Does anyone have any experience with this method and how has it been turning out? If so, would you mind sharing your technique.

Cheers

I do it that way. I use an Acid Detergent Cleaner like Acid #6 from 5 star, or use a detergent additive with the acid like X-Puma from Birko. We do push the chemicals outs with Co2 rather than air so there is a bit more use than if you were just purging and pressurizing with co2, but on the other hand i can get away with a shorter purge because the keg remains in a co2 environment throughout the cleaning process, so it sort of balances out. I do it to reduce DO levels and simplify the process (on a homemade keg washer so having one less valve to flip is nice).

Comment

Acid and Deterent Only Cleaning Under Pressure

I've written a couple of articles on the subject that can be viewed at: http://www.birkocorp.com/brewery/white-papers/

Cheers!

Birko
      Birko – Your Partner in Food Safety for the Food Processing Industry
      Contact us at info@birkocorp.com, (800) 525-0476 or (303) 289-1090.
      www.birkocorp.com

Comment

Working...
      X